We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryce and Zion, one day for each

Which Bryce Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Bryce and Zion, one day for each

Hi,

We are a family from Norway with two children (9 and 13 years) planning our California-Arizona-Utah-Las Vegas road trip next summer (June-July). We will do Grand Canyon (two nights at Kachina Lodge), Monument Valley (one night at The View) and Page with Antelope Canyon and rafting/boat trip. We have two nights between Page and Las Vegas and I was wondering what the best way to spend these is. We have planned one night at Zion and one at Bryce, but I realize that this is rather tight schedule. My questions is, should we do two nights at Bryce and just drive by Zion, taking Canyon overlook trail on our way to Las Vegas? Or do we miss a lot not doing Zion, even for only one day?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 195
1. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

Two nights is more than you need at Bryce but one night is too short at Zion. Two options for you:

- Skip Bryce and spend two nights in Zion

- Skip Zion, spend an extra night in Page and one night in Bryce

I suspect you'll get lots of other suggestions. My rule of thumb is minimum two nights Zion, one night Bryce.

Have fun you can't go too wrong either way.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

I guess you are staying in Page for 2 night re the raft trip and Antelope Canyon. MV to Page only is a 2.5 hours drive and you already can spend the afternoon in Page. Next morning you can do the rafttrip and drive to Bryce in the afternoon. (3 hours drive). So that leaves time for 1 night Bryce and 2 nights Zion. If you already've planned this (so one night for Page) I'd still stay overnight in Bryce and Zion next day.

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
3. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

Don't give up a night at Bryce. That's my favorite time there. Page needs two nights for your plan. If you need to gain a night somewhere, you could delete one at GCNP.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 87
4. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

You can fit a lot in with only a one night stay if you arrive early and / or leave late. As Tet has said you could drive to Bryce in the afternoon, have plenty of time to enjoy it that evening and early next morning and then about noon leave for Zion where you can enjoy the main canyon in a fairly quick amount of time.

I'd personally would spend the two nights in Zion, but many people say Bryce is their favorite so it is hard to leave it out.

Oslo, Norway
5. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

Thank you all for your replies!

Yes, I think that we need to nights in Page, so we really have these two nights to play around with. We will definitely do Bryce canyon, as we want to do some hiking and I guess there will be more pleasant temperatures for hiking at Bryce compared to Zion.

I think that we will try to do both after all! Drive along the Bryce canyon in the first afternoon, and then take Navajo Loop trail next morning before leaving to Zion. At Zion, we will at least take the Canyon overlook Trail, maybe already same afternoon, if it is not too hot. Or maybe we should start at Zion – take a shuttle in to canyon first afternoon and then do Canyon overlook trail on the way to Bryce? In that case, we will also save some driving time the first day we travel from Page. We will probably leave early to do horse shoe bend on our way out from Page and plan to drive using road 89A for best view.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
6. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

Zion to Las Vegas only is 3 hours and you'll gain one hour so you can see more of Zion before you drive to Las Vegas. Keep an eye on the timechanges in your trip. Lose 1 h between GC and MV, gain 1 h between MV and Page and lose 1 h between Page and Zion/Bryce.

USA
reviews: 5
7. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

Definitely do Bryce. It's amazing.

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 13
8. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

Zion was my family's favorite. I liked it better than Bryce and much better than Page. If, no WHEN, we plan our next trip to Utah, Zion will be prominently featured. Don't know if we would go back to Page at all, but maybe if it was on the way. Would never plan to spend extra time there as I actively disliked the town of Page. Did enjoy the float trip and there are several other things worth doing there, but for our family we'd mostly rather spend our time elsewhere. Definitely we all want to go back to Zion. Loved the town of Springdale. It's tiny, but has great restaurants and a few interesting shops. Much nicer than Page or the area near Bryce. Not very interested in Monument Valley, personally, but YMMV.

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 13
9. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

BTW, our kids were 7 and 10 when we did the trip.

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 17
10. Re: Bryce and Zion, one day for each

We managed to do Horseshoe Bend, Hummer Adventures trip to Secret Canyon, River float trip and Antelope Canyon, and we only had 1 night in Page.

Sure it was a tight schedule, but if you're "only" planning on doing Antelope Canyon and the float trip, I would think 1 night should be enough. (I do highly recommend doing Horseshoe Bend and Hummer Adventures if you have the time, though)