We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

Which Bryce Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicagoland
Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

The near total solar eclipse is going to occur around 7:30 PM. It's going to be fairly long (4 min.+) so we don't plan on missing it. We are staying at Ruby's. Where would we need to drive to for a clear view of the western horizon? It's only going to be 11 degrees above the horizon so a clear view is a must. I can handle night driving out there. Thanks.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 185
1. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

You might call Ruby's or contact the national park for help since you haven't received any responses yet. Sorry I can't give you any more than that. Sounds interesting.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 126
2. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

A good place would be Brian Head Peak. You can drive to it when it is clear. There may still be snow in May, but it has a great view.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 8
3. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

Thats a great suggestion.A totally bald peak, the only thing up there is a stone hut. Snow could be a problem, but if the road is clear...

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 8
4. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

Maybe up near Rainbow Point or somewhere on the road up to it. You can see a 360 view of it on this site.Looks like they took this shot just down from the parking lot.Look for the compass icon on the left to check out which direction you are looking.

360cities.net/image/utah-bryce-canyon-rainbo…

Chicagoland
5. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

Thanks guys. Brian Head Peak? Isn't that like 2 hours away? First I'm going to contact the Park Service. They appear to have some special program going on for the event. Then there are also a few stargazing clubs in the area that I'm going to also contact. This eclipse is going to be one of those "ring of fire" types. I really don't want to miss out.

I'm going to have to do a little more homework though. I'll have to look into possible viewpoints in relation to the shadow path.

Thanks Dez for the link to the "360" site. Really cool pics. I'll be wasting a lot of time there.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
6. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

I'm not sure why you chose Bryce if the eclipse will be in the west. Bryce looks east. Even Rainbow point looks east and south.

Brian Head Peak has unobstructed views to the west. It would be about an hour and a half from Bryce. Your biggest problem there will be the snow though.

I would think Cedar City would be a better base, with maybe a drive out to the west desert to get away from the lights for the event itself. The path looks like it will go right over Old Iron Town. If I decide to participate I expect that is where I will head.

Chicagoland
7. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

I didn't choose Bryce. The eclipse chose me. LOL. I planned this trip before stumbling upon the eclipse. We will be in Zion the prior 2 days, then 2 in Bryce. I thought about rearranging our schedule but that really won't work. If I was planning on a trip for the eclipse I be headed to Klamath, CA. There it will be at 21 degrees with nothing but the ocean, as opposed to 11 degrees around Zion. The more I research this I think if I want a reasonable view I'll be driving, maybe Brian Head Mt.. I'll probably overnight around there because I stayed in Duck Creek Village before & there are way to many deer in that area for night driving.

Chicagoland
8. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

The center of the shadow is going to pass over Kanaraville, for what it's worth. Matbe I'll overnight in Cedar City afterwards & head back to Bryce early.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
9. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

Oh, that makes sense. but it would be good to take advantage. Is it the first night at bryce? you could switcb that to a night at cedar city

Chicagoland
10. Re: Need a clear view for May, 2012 solar eclipse

I'm thinking about my options. There will be 3 of us on this trip so we have to discuss our options. I really want to do a little exploring in the Bryce area so I don't think chopping a day off from staying at Bryce is worth it. We planned on 1 day exploring Bryce and the other day going down to Devil's Garden & Kodakchrome/Grosvenor on the way back.

Maybe if we save Devil's Garden & stop there on the way to Torrey, do Kodak/Grosvenor the first afternoon then the eclipse. Bryce on day 2. It's just the drive back at night. I'm figuring 2 hours + being dark. We'll probably weigh our options when we get there and see what viewpoints are worthwhile nearby first. Hell, it may be cloudy!