We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time of day is best?

Parkland, Florida
reviews: 20
What time of day is best?

Seems like half a day is enough to see Black Canyon. Would people recommend morning or afternoon in mid June. Curious about which will give me the best pictures. Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
1. Re: What time of day is best?

You can spend as look as you want at the Black Canyon. If you're going for a half-day, I supposed it depends on which entrance you go into and what you're trying to photograph.

Parkland, Florida
2. Re: What time of day is best?

South Rim entrance...... Typical view points and overlooks. Painted Wall, Warner Point Overlook..........

The reason I ask is that I understand that depending on the time of the time of day, pictures can be quite obscured by sun or lack of it.

Edited: 9:38 am, May 02, 2013
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 105
3. Re: What time of day is best?

Here's one blogger's experience photographing the Black Canyon:

mycolorado.org/images/black_canyon/index.htm

Getting great pictures is difficult there because if it is sunny, you have so much contrast between the areas in deep shadow and the areas where the sun strikes the walls. But I like afternoon on the south rim. I'm no photography expert, though!

You could easily spend a full day or more if you want to do some of the hikes, but a half day is a good amount of time to drive the East Portal road plus several overlooks and one of the shorter hikes.

Edited: 9:43 am, May 02, 2013
Parkland, Florida
4. Re: What time of day is best?

Also, is there any point to doing the East Portal road if we have already gone to Curecanti NRA and done the Morrow Point Boat Tour?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 105
5. Re: What time of day is best?

If you have time, I'd still go down the East Portal. The canyon is deeper here and gets deeper yet further in the park, and, to me, the East Portal is the best place to get the perspective from the bottom of the canyon.

Reply to: What time of day is best?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted