We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stargazing programs at Black Canyon

Michigan
Stargazing programs at Black Canyon

Hi! I am planning our trip to Colorado next summer (end of June). I have two daughters - 13 and 16 - who would like to do a stargazing program. We will NOT be able to do the star gazing at the Gunnison Valley Observatory. Their 2012 dates are posted and they do not correspond to when we would be there (June 20).

I keep reading about the National Park Service at Gunnison has programs, but the dates aren't published yet. Do they tend to be every night? Any help would be appreciated!

We are also going to Ouray and Mesa Verde -- if you know of any programs in those areas it would also be very helpful! We are by no means experts (I can usually find the Big Dipper!), but the girls have been studying it in school and I think it would be a fun experience to have an "expert" explain things to us.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
1. Re: Stargazing programs at Black Canyon

I haven't seen any schedules yet but will see what I can find out. Also, you might check about scheduling a private viewing at the observatory. Did you see the link on their website for information about that?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
2. Re: Stargazing programs at Black Canyon

The Black Canyon Astronomy Society usually partners with the Black Canyon Rangers for the "night sky" programs. Their website doesn't have a schedule up yet, either, but lists a couple of email addresses. They may not know their dates yet, either, but there might be a willing volunteer who'd meet up with you even if not on one of their official scheduled programs at the Black Canyon.

http://www.blackcanyonastronomy.com/INDEX.HTM

There are sometimes programs at Ridgway State Park, too, in addition to the national parks. Not usually in Ouray that I know of because Ouray is in a canyon so the field of view is more limited.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
3. Re: Stargazing programs at Black Canyon

Here's some ideas in the Durango/Mesa Verde area. If you stay inside Mesa Verde NP at Farview Lodge or the campground you will see stars, Milky Way etc.

www.doublestarobservatory.com/index.php

onestar-awb.org/starparks/durango-discovery-…

Michigan
4. Re: Stargazing programs at Black Canyon

Thanks for all the good info! Now to figure out what works best........

Reply to: Stargazing programs at Black Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Black Canyon Of The...