We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Government Shutdown Update-Badlands Nat'l Park

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
Government Shutdown Update-Badlands Nat'l Park

Hello,

One of our posters, Wifty, was kind enough to post an update on recent conditions at Badlands National Park due to the government shutdown. I copied Wifty's words and am including them in this new thread to give those an idea of what to expect during this time.

"Arrived Badlands NP on Oct 2 and left on Oct 3 morning because of the weather not the shutdown. Yes the loop road was closed and so were the lodge and campground at Cedar Pass. The lookouts were cordoned off with cones. The park gates were not staffed but there was NP law enforcement vehicle patrolling the area to tell tourists not to go beyond the cones. The road to Interior and Old NE Road were not closed. We stayed in the private campground in Interior which was pretty much empty"

Of course, the shutdown seems to have taken a back seat to the recent blizzard that dumped around 2 feet of snow in Rapid and close to 4 feet in the northern Black Hills region. I called RAP and heard on their hotline the airport is still closed. I just figured I'd post this information for those travelling a bit later in the event the shutdown is still in effect.

We all hope the clean up from the blizzard goes as smoothly as possible.

Please note that during the gov't shutdown, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Devil's Tower, and the Minuteman Site are closed, along with limited access to the Badlands as noted above.

1 reply
Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 127
1. Re: Government Shutdown Update-Badlands Nat'l Park

Thanks for taking time to put this update together. Feeling badly for those who have invested time and money into vacations right now.

Reply to: Government Shutdown Update-Badlands Nat'l Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted