We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

Bartlett, Illinois
reviews: 2
Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

We, couple in the 60's, are planning a trip to the Arches National Park, North Rim Grand Canyon. South Rim Grand Canyon and the Four Corners Monument. We will be starting and ending at Las Vegas.

1. We are budgeting a week - is that too long or too short?

2. Is it worth to see both the North and South Rim Grand Canyon?

3. Is my choice of Arches NP a good one versus other NPs?

4. Are there other must-see places to visit close to our itinerary?

We want to limit our driving during the day and stay in hotels/motels - any suggestions?

8 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

When? GCNP north rim will close for the winter on Oct 15th. IMO it's redundant to include both north and south rims in such a quick trip. Four corners is a big detour with a small pay off. I'd skip it. Arches NP is a long way to go as well in a short week. There's enough to see and do in Moab to fill most of a week. But you'll blow two days getting there and back from LV.

Given your time allowance consider GCNP south rim, Page, Bryce and Zion. Read the sticky at the top of this forum page about Grand Circle touring options. Time of year for your proposed trip is critical though. Let us know what dates you have in mind.

Bartlett, Illinois
2. Re: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

We are planning the trip for the 2nd week of September.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 200
3. Re: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

Echoing RedRox' advice, with just a week you're going to use 25-30% of your vacation just DRIVING to/from Moab. Keep the focus on the region within easy driving distance of Las Vegas. For sure don't need to do both North and South Rim. And do skip Four Corners given your time. As noted, look at Zion (2 nights), Bryce (1 night), Page (1-2 nights), South Rim (1 night), maybe MV but that, too, will really pack your week.

Have fun.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
4. Re: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

With less than a month to go, you need to look at lodging availability right now. Don't be surprised to find many places sold out already.

Bartlett, Illinois
5. Re: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

Thank you everybody,

I just might do this (Zion, Bryce, Page and South Rim GC). I will skip Arches NP for sometime and probably include 4 corners at that time.

MV stands for Mesa Verde?

Thank for the link on the Grand Circle Tour.

Any suggestions for Lodging? As someone pointed out, I need to make lodging arrangements.

Thank you all.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 85
6. Re: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

We mostly tend to use MV for Monument Valley.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
7. Re: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

MV is often used in these forums for Mesa Verde NP but also for Monument Valley Navajo park. Both are in the Four Corners region and could be included in that future trip along with Moab. Your new plan makes much more sense.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
8. Re: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon

At GCSR, staying in the park at one of the lodges(El Tovar, Yavapai, etc. is recommended by most. You will likely find these lodges sold out or near to. Look at Tusayan for a substitute, Best Western is nice, or Red feather>> www.tusayanhotels.com

Bryce also may prove difficult to secure lodging. The BW Grand is nice. You can also look at Rubys Inn, Bryce View, or Bryce Canyon Resort>> www.brycecanyoncountry.com

Zion and Page often has some availability. At Zion, Desert Pearl, Cable Mountain, Driftwood, and the BW are nice places. I haven't heard of too many complaints about any of the accomodations in Springdale>> www.zionpark.com

Page, could try Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Days Inn>> visitpagearizona.com/places/page-lake-powell…

Edited: 12:06 am, August 21, 2013
Reply to: Trip to Arches National Park and Grand Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted