We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos?

Wisconsin
reviews: 1
Mosquitos?

We will be traveling to the Acadia area over the Fourth of July. I have a nasty mosquito allergy and am wondering if Mosquitos will be a big problem. Thank you in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 7
1. Re: Mosquitos?

Not a big problem. I've seen very few mosquitoes while hiking in Acadia. In fact, none. I guess there might be some around standing water. But most of the water around here is very clean and moving.

Wisconsin
reviews: 1
2. Re: Mosquitos?

Thank you!

Alamo, CA
reviews: 20
3. Re: Mosquitos?

Don't know about mosquitoes but we encountered lots of pesky flying bugs (black flies?) on our trip in August 2012 particularly when hiking the Great Head Trail. As we were heading up hikers coming down warned us and passed us their repellent which helped somewhat. I would suggest wearing long pants and keeping arms covered just in case.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 7
4. Re: Mosquitos?

They wouldn't have been black flies, because those are usually gone by early July. Must of been an odd swarm of something or other. It's strange you would encounter them on Great Head, where the ocean breezes usually blow little bugs away.

5. Re: Mosquitos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:04 am, June 25, 2013

Mount Desert, Maine
reviews: 6
6. Re: Mosquitos?

I live on Mount Desert Island and I too have a bad mosquito allergy. Yes - there are mosquitoes here in July - depends on where you go and the weather. Not usually bad in towns, but can be in some other areas of the island. There is a Maine made natural repellent called Buggle that I have found to be very effective - available at local health food stores.

Reply to: Mosquitos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted