We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking

Muncie, IN
Hiking

Hi! My husband and I will be in Acadia in just a little over two weeks and are very excited! We are pretty avid hikers and are looking to do several hikes during our stay. We are definitely tackling the Beehive Trail. I originally had Precipice down but took it off for fear it was too similar to Beehive. Was wanting to do Jordan Cliffs but saw it is currently closed for the falcons. I think another we would like to do is the Beech Cliff Ladder trail and I was wondering where the trailhead was for this and if it was a loop? Any other hikes that you recommend for an adventurous, mid-20's couple? I did have Maple Springs to Great Slide up the back of Parkman as part of the itinerary but took it off as I was having too much trouble finding info about it!

Thanks for any help!

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
1. Re: Hiking

You wouldn't be able to do the Precipice Trail anyway. It is also closed because of nesting peregrine falcons.

The Beehive Trail is pretty short. Perhaps you can combine it with something else. Remember that you don't have to end where you start because you can use the free Island Explorer buses to either take you back to the trailhead where you started or back to Bar Harbor.

The Maple Springs to Great Slide and up the back of Parkman is a great hike. I personally think the view from the top of Parkman Mountain is even better than the view from the top of Cadillac. What you need is a really good map. You can't hike from the free map that the Park gives out. Just not enough detail. Map Adventures map of Acadia National Park is the one to get. Perhaps you can wait until you get here and buy that map from either the Park's Visitor Center or Sherman's Bookstore in Bar Harbor.

With a good map it will all become clear about where the trail heads are and which trail connects with which other one. The map I recommend has distances and elevation and parking areas. In addition to the ones you've researched, a nice hike is up the Perpendicular Trail on Mansell Mountain, outside of Southwest Harbor, and down the Razorback Trail. The mountains on that side of the island are very different (and less popular) than the ones on the Bar Harbor side of the island.

The trail head for Beech Cliff is at the southern end of Echo Lake. Big parking lot there. You can also access the trails there by driving to the very end of Beech Hill Road, where there is a parking lot. That lot will put you near the top of the cliff.

Wash D.C.
2. Re: Hiking

One of my favorite hikes is up Beehive, take the Bowl Trail down (never try to take the main trail down the Beehive, too dangerous), and then up Gorham, down the other side of Gorham to the the ocean drive, walk along the ocean path back to the start. Check a map and it will make sense. But this loop combines all the great hiking features of Acadia in one hike, in my opinion.

Beach Cliff Ladder trail is a fun but quick hike. I don't recall if its a loop because we usually just go back down the ladders. It's a short hike; combine with a day at Echo Lake.

I'm blanking on more hikes to recommend because I usually enjoy all of my hikes in Acadia.

Kansas City...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Hiking

Vacationjunkie, please tell me how your hike was. I plan to hike Beehive July 5th.

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Hiking

You must do the Champlain North Ridge Trail, it will take you to the same place precipice trail would, the most beautiful spot you can hike to! Also do the Gorham mountain trail. These two hikes were my favorites! Have fun, loved Acadia!

Saint Charles...
reviews: 10
5. Re: Hiking

My 16 yr old daughter and I just got back from Acadia. We only had one day but thanks to this thread we decided to do Beehive Trail. I was a little scared of the ladders as I have a slight fear of heights. This was my 3rd trip to Acadia in 24 yrs. and I never had the guts to do this hike before. A couple times I started to doubt that I would make it but the option of turning around and going back the way I came was worse than continuing up! It also helped that it was a pretty busy day in the park and there were lotsof people giving me encouragement and support. So glad I knew about going back down via the Bowl Trail. The best part of the entire hike was as we were coming down I thought I heard a lone hiker ahead of us down the trail but when we came around a bend we came almost literally face to face with a young doe. I was afraid I would scare it away if I took my pack off to get my camera so I have no proof.

6. Re: Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 17, 2014