We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning SECRET vacation for me and my wife for 4th of July.

Planning SECRET vacation for me and my wife for 4th of July.

My wife and I (44 and 51) live 4,000 miles apart (Prague and Pittsburgh). She'll be spending 3 weeks in the US during June and July. I've told her that I am taking her somewhere special for the US 4th of July holiday (she is Czech), but everything else is a SECRET! She is going crazy trying to figure out where we are going and what we'll be doing. :-) This will be the first visit for either of us to Maine. We fly into Bangor on July 3 at 1pm, will spend 5 nights at Bar Harbor Manor, and will fly out of Bangor at 5pm on July 8. We are very active and love hiking and biking (my wife is hardcore on a road bicycle). I hope to get the Mrs. to join me for a hike on one (at least) of the ladder trails (fear of heights). Will we need to drive into Acadia each day or could we reach many locations with the shuttle buses? We'll need to rent bikes for a day or two (Carriage roads), will we be able to transport the bikes via the shuttle buses? I expect the 4th of July to be rather crazy and crowded. I do want her to experience some of the festivities of the national holiday, but we may also prefer to get in a good hike during the day. What festivities would you recommend we not miss? I assume we should be prepared for cool temps (75-55) and rain. We'll be prepared to hike in the worst weather, and pleasantly surprised for any sunny and warm days. Anything else I should plan for? My wife has NO IDEA of where we are going, and she has the idea we are going somewhere just for a day or two. She'll be surprised when we arrive at the airport for our flight to Bangor!!! Thank you!!!

1. Re: Planning SECRET vacation for me and my wife for 4th of July.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 11, 2014