We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best trails for rainy days in Acadia

Lakeville
Level Contributor
37 posts
129 reviews
Best trails for rainy days in Acadia

Help, we are traveling to Acadia next week and it looks like a good chance of rain most of the week. Can anyone tell me some good trails to do when rain is likely? Is there anything else to do when it's raining other than hiking and biking? Also, are there any interesting places or restaurants not to be missed in the Bar Harbor to Hancock area?

Thanks so much!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Best trails for rainy days in Acadia

www.rainydaymdi.com

Don't believe the weather forecasts. It doesn't rain nearly as much as they forecast. And there's only about a 20% chance of rain most days next week. Wednesday and Friday are supposed to be clear. If I had to guess, I'd say the only rain we'll see next week will be Tuesday night.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Best trails for rainy days in Acadia

In rain, it is best (safer) to stick with the relatively flat trails. The reason is that many of more vertical trails include stretches of going up (or coming down) over bare granite, which can become slippery in the rain. I suggest that your first stop in the park be at the Hulls Cove visitor center. Check out the big 3-D model to get a feeling of what the topography looks like for various trails.

One system of good rainy-day trails is the Jesup Path/Hemlock Road/Wild Garden group that runs from the Loop Road through the edge of Great Meadow, past Sieur de Monts, and out to The Tarn and back. It is a rough figure-8 route and one of the all-season favorites of local residents.

As I noted in a response to someone else recently, the problem with most weather forecasts around here is that they are developed for an area that stretches from the coast north to Bangor (ca. 45 miles away). For a more specific forecast for MDI, take a look at:

http://tinyurl.com/yehcjp8

Lakeville
Level Contributor
37 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Best trails for rainy days in Acadia

Thank you for your help and insight.

Lakeville
Level Contributor
37 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: Best trails for rainy days in Acadia

Thank you for the information. Is there anywhere just northeast of Hancock that is worth visiting when we are done exploring Acadia? We have a couple of half days to venture out around our rental home in the Hancock area.

thanks,

5. Re: Best trails for rainy days in Acadia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 07, 2014