We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options for Solo Budget Traveller

Singapore, Singapore
Options for Solo Budget Traveller

I'm considering a trip to Acadia National Park in July, but I do not drive. What options do I have as regards transportation and accommodation?

I've found Bar Harbor Shuttle (which seems a bit steep at $40 one way) and Downeast Transportation (but there's only one trip everyday from Bangor to Bar Harbor, so timing may be tricky) and was wondering if there were other options. In any case, I'll be travelling from Boston, so I'm open to other options that don't entail going through Bar Harbor.

As for accommodation, what options are there for a solo budget traveller?

Thanks in advance!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
reviews: 8
1. Re: Options for Solo Budget Traveller

I'm not sure why you wouldn't go through Bar Harbor. Are you planning to stay somewhere else on the island or are you only coming for the day? There is a free Island Explorer shuttle that departs from the Village Green in Bar Harbor and will take you all over the island. It also goes to the Bar Harbor airport. You can get some good deals on flights from Boston to Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
2. Re: Options for Solo Budget Traveller

There aren't really any other options of public transportation. $40 isn't all that expensive given that it is a 90 minute ride from Bangor to Bar Harbor.

Flying from Boston right to the Bar Harbor airport, which is actually about 20 minutes away from the village, would be a good option, as stated above.

Your best option for accommodation would probably be a bed and breakfast room in the village of Bar Harbor. That way you could walk to dining options and also walk to the Village Green where the free shuttle buses start and end their routes.

Look at www.sleepbarharbor.com for choices. Aysgarth Station might be a good place for you: http://www.aysgarth.com/rooms.htm

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Options for Solo Budget Traveller

Thanks for the responses! Sorry, I meant travel options bypassing Bangor, rather than Bar Harbor. I'm planning to stay for a few days, though it does seem quite difficult to secure accommodation in July. I looked at Aysgarth Station (thanks bonniemaev!) but it's fully booked for some of the days I'm planning to be there.

Saint Joseph...
reviews: 15
4. Re: Options for Solo Budget Traveller

If you fly into bar harbor airport I know the open hearth inn just down the street will offer to pick you up during business hours, or like other suggested the island explorer runs routes from the airport by the hotels like open hearth, Isleview Cottages and on into Bar Harbor. These hotels use the Campground route.

5. Re: Options for Solo Budget Traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 07, 2014