We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

Lakeville
reviews: 98
Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

Can someone tell me which easier 2 to 4 mile hikes they recommend in Acadia NP for two women in their mid fifties to do without climbing rungs, or hiking on the edge of ravine? We will be in Acadia two days and don't mind some terrain and altitude gain, but we don't want to be on a cliff or climbing rungs over a drop off. Thank you!

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
1. Re: Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

There are lots and lots of hikes like that. You might enjoy the carriage roads instead of the hiking trails. The Witch Hole Pond carriage road loop is a little over three miles. You can walk side by side and see a varied terrain. Either start at the Eagle Lake parking lot or the Duckbrook Bridge.

Or you can do a loop through Great Meadow, starting at Sieur du Monts parking area. Or you can go to the other side of the island from Bar Harbor and do the Wonderland Trail or the Ship Harbor trail.

Or you could do the loop around Jordan Pond and have popovers on the lawn afterwards. Or you could do the carriage road from the north end of Eagle Lake all the way to the south end of Jordan Pond. That's a nice one.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
reviews: 125
2. Re: Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

Love Bonniemaev's suggestions. Wonderland is flat and beautiful, especially if you go at low tide. You can also walk portions of Loop Road along the ocean that are beautiful. For a little harder but not killer (we're in our late 50's but still do these) we like Gorham Mountain. It has some elevation but nothing horrible. Avoid the Cadillac Cliffs section of the trail. We also like Great Head. Some scrambling over boulders but once you get to the top it's beautiful. There is a trail that goes along Long Pond. It's on the west side of the Pond and you pick it up by the pump station. Easy and once you go up a ways there are lovely places to swim. Bar Island at low tide. Talk to the rangers when you get there. They can give you loads of suggestions.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
reviews: 8
3. Re: Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

Gorham Mountain and Great Head Trail were going to be my first suggestions. Next, consider Flying Mountain. It's a low, one mile hike, but the mountain is located a little north of Southwest Harbor with great views of Somes Sound. It would get you over to the other side of the island with different views than the ones from the Park Loop Road.

Lagrangeville, NY
reviews: 33
4. Re: Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

I will be heading to Acadia in the fall and was looking at day hikes that are easy for my mom and I found this book: Best easy day hikes, Acadia National Park by Dolores Kong and Dan Ring. I like the way the authors describe the trails in detail.

Lakeville
5. Re: Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

Thanks so much. We want to make the most of our time there and you have helped.

Lakeville
6. Re: Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

Thanks for the suggestions. Happy travels!

Chicago
reviews: 1
7. Re: Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

We're headed up there in September and am so excited. I have done these beautiful trails and can't wait to do them again!!! Still trying to figure where to stay with our adult daughter tagging along. But, sooo miss BH and Acadia!

8. Re: Easier scenic Acadia NP hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 12, 2014