We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping on Isle de Haut, Acadia National Park, ME

Clearwater, Florida
reviews: 37
Camping on Isle de Haut, Acadia National Park, ME

Any advice for camping there in the lean to's? We have reservations for late August, 2013.

conn
reviews: 28
1. Re: Camping on Isle de Haut, Acadia National Park, ME

treat this like a backpack trip. use a god quality backpack to load your gear. it makes it easier on the ferry and on the walk to the campground.

Clearwater, Florida
2. Re: Camping on Isle de Haut, Acadia National Park, ME

Thanks for this advice...how far is the walk from dock to campsites? I saw mention of putting a tent up INSIDE the lean to...??? Mosquito netting needed?

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 8
3. Re: Camping on Isle de Haut, Acadia National Park, ME

There are two different boat trips that go out to Isle au Haut. Be sure you don't take the one that only goes to the town dock. It is a long walk from there to the campground. It's hardly no walk at all from the boat dock at Duck Harbor Landing of Acadia National Park.

Clearwater, Florida
4. Re: Camping on Isle de Haut, Acadia National Park, ME

Thanks, I noticed that when looking on their website!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 104
5. Re: Camping on Isle de Haut, Acadia National Park, ME

mainelymarti, in terms of your question about the lean-to and your tent, I see on the NPS website that tents must be used within the lean-to shelters as you said. I've never camped at Duck Harbor, but I have used my tent inside Vermont State Park shelters (wonderful shelters!) so maybe I can help a little. We would pitch our 2-person A-frame tent inside the lean-to. We didn't use (or need) the fly. Sometimes we'd stake the tent to well-located nails that others had conveniently left behind, sometimes we wouldn't stake it at all. The screens on our tent worked fine for mosquito protection.

We did see some folks using the shelters without tents. They would hang tarps across the front for privacy and some protection from the elements. I can't remember ever seeing anyone use mosquito netting and think this would be hard to do well.

I'd suggest that you bring along some rope, nails, and perhaps a few eye hooks so you can improvise. Have fun!

6. Re: Camping on Isle de Haut, Acadia National Park, ME

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 05, 2014