We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we camp?

Waterloo, Iowa
reviews: 6
Where should we camp?

My fiance and I will be traveling to Acadia next week and we are wondering if we should make reservations at Blackwoods or take our chances finding a better campground once we get there? We are looking for a place we can drive in with our one tent, close to ocean, close showers would also be nice as well as a private location. Any suggestions?

easton, pa
11. Re: Where should we camp?

Thanks again baxter! Blackwoods does take reservations. One makes reservations by either calling the national park resvervation phone line or online reservations.nps.gov - of course it's the general web address for all of the national parks, but is walks you through of what national park you would like to stay etc.

easton, pa
12. Re: Where should we camp?

I have another question and sorry if it sounds like a silly one. Everytime my husband and I went camping we always had set our tent directly on the ground and never used a platform. We don't mind sleeping on the platform because we do have an air mattress. However, how exactly do you set the tent up on the platform? I understand with nails and a hammer but do you pound the nails in the same spots that the tent stakes would be? How long of nails do you suggest to bring? Thanks again!

Bradley, Maine
reviews: 11
13. Re: Where should we camp?

Well, I guess it would depend on your tent. Mine is a dome type tent so unless you are in fear of the tent blowing away, I don't need to stake it. If you have one that you HAVE to stake in order for it to stand up just bring maybe nails that are right for your tent. The boards aren't hardwood or anything. Sorry, I'm not really sure how to guide you here. Maybe take a look at your tent and figure out what you'll need and maybe give quietside a call and see if she has suggestions.

I never really need to stake my tent- it was just stretching the fly that we nailed in... which I hate to use cause it makes it too warm in the tent, but it was raining so... sorry. I've found that many tent sites are switching to the platforms... which have pro's and cons...

Whitehall, Pa
reviews: 1
14. Re: Where should we camp?

I would make reservations before going to acadia, it is first come first serve. My boyfriend and I will be going next week as well we went last year for one night now we are going for 4 nights. HAve fun its beautiful.

Another place is seawall but im not sure what its like there

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
reviews: 9
15. Re: Where should we camp?

RE: Blackwoods campground.

One of the two loop of campsites at Blackwoods was due to close 6 September, for construction. This cuts the capacity there by about half, I think. Seawall campground, which does not accept reservations, will remain open later this year.