We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Salerno to Sicily

Which Sicili hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth WA
reviews: 31
Driving from Salerno to Sicily

My husband & I are going to Amalfi Coast next May & would luv any info on the drive from Salerno to Sicily, also any info on hiring a car in Salerno would be great.

hope to hear from many of you happy travellers

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Florence, Italy
reviews: 324
1. Re: Driving from Salerno to Sicily

Hi KazaPerthWA,

the major car rental agencies have an office at Salerno: Hertz, Avis, Europcar, and so on. Which one you choose will also depend on your past experiences with them. I was fine with Hertz in different parts of the world.

As for the route Salerno-Sicily, it is all on freeway (no toll) in the stretch of the mainland. However, it requires attention, since a large part of its southern section is not provided with emergency lane.

It climbs (though gradually) up to 1000 m. (about 3300 feet) at "Campo Tenese", between Basilicata and Calabria.

www.viamichelin.com shows a 269 miles route and a time of 4 hours and 38 minutes between Salerno and Villa San Giovanni (the ferry port to Sicily).

Brun066

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
2. Re: Driving from Salerno to Sicily

Not only not provided with an emergency lane, but the A3 through Southern Calabria currently has traffic routed in both directions on only on one side of the autostrada, so you are directly facing oncoming traffic.

At times, the 2-way traffic drives on the side in the direction of Salerno, and at other times it changes to the other side, and then the 2-way traffic drives on the side in the direction of Reggio di Calabria.

And this major and ongoing construction on the A3 is a never-ending 15-year project.

Check for road conditions updates and allocate extra time, especially through Calabria heading in the direction of Reggio di Calabria.

www.stradeanas.it/index.php…

http://goo.gl/wI8zG

Vagabonda

Perth WA
3. Re: Driving from Salerno to Sicily

Hi Bruno066

Thanks so much for the info, we are planning on taking the Scenic drive & only using the autostrada when necessary, do you know anything about this route??

Kaza

Perth WA
4. Re: Driving from Salerno to Sicily

Hi Vagabonda

Thanks so much for the info. Going by all your reviews you are a wealth of knowledge which is great. On our drive we are planning on using the autostrada only when we have to, we want to see as much of the countryside as possible, just cruising along. My husband has driven all over the world so very experienced & doesn't get fazed about any traffic hazzards. If you have any info on that would be fab

KazaPerthWA

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
5. Re: Driving from Salerno to Sicily

Hi KazaPerthWA,

The coastal route is eternal if that's your intended route, so hopefully you have lots of time!

Driving/Car Train from Tuscany to Sicily:

tripadvisor.com/…26262299

Ciao -

Vagabonda

Florence, Italy
6. Re: Driving from Salerno to Sicily

Hi Kaza

The most recommendable alternative to the motorway - it means that it is has just two lanes, but is still fast enough - is the road which branches off the motorway exit of "Lagonegro Nord", reaches the coast at "Praia a Mare", is built at short distance from the coast itself, and returns on motorway to "Falerna" entrance. In all, there are about 150 km / 95 miles off the motorway.

It isn't recommended in full summer season, because of the traffic, but now this season is almost over.

Brun066

Florence, Italy
7. Re: Driving from Salerno to Sicily

Sorry, I did not think that your trip is next May. However, my argument remains valid: May is not full bathing season.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: Driving from Salerno to Sicily

When driving point to pint, always take autostrada!

Vagabonda

Reply to: Driving from Salerno to Sicily
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sicili