We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need an AC at night?

Which Pecatu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Do you need an AC at night?

Hello - We are looking to book accomodation for a trip in Bali - in the Bukit Uluwatu region. We are leaving in a couple of days. We found a place on the cliff overlooking the ocean where you may even get ocean splash on the balcony (its that close to the beach). The place does not have Air conditioning. Does anyone know if the tempretures so close to the ocean at night are comfortable enough to sleep in with just a fan? Do you need AC? I can not find many reviews on this topic.

Edited: 4:21 pm, October 15, 2013
12 replies to this topic
sydney australia
reviews: 108
1. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

well I would equate the temperature at night to be like a hot August night in New York city. Often hot and humid.

Personally we sleep with the air con on, that way we get a great nights sleep, after all we are on holiday.

Some people prefer just a ceiling fan to move the air around.

To be honest its a personal choice

New York City, New...
2. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

Would you say that would be the case right at the ocean also? I absolutely would expect that inland

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 62
3. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

It's also very much dependant on what time of year it is.

In wet season I would say yes you do need a/c, but in June, July, August and even September chances are you won't.

Wet season is usually very still (unless it's storming), hot and very humid.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 8
4. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

We haven't used an aircon on our last half dozen visits. We usually turn it off before we go to sleep on turn it back on after breakfast. Like Winnie says the hotter months, November to March, may be different but we've avoided those times if we can. It doesn't mean we wouldn't go at those times. Better hot in Bali than not in Bali.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 22
5. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

I don't use it. Being near/on the ocean I would very much doubt you would unless you really suffer from the heat.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

IMHO, it also depends on how the room unit is designed. If it's a brick building and being exposed directly to the sun, it's gonna be bad.

I ve just completed 2-night stay at Lembongan which the hotel doesn't come with a/c. It was surprisingly fine due to the design - lots of air circulation, sheltered from the sun, etc.

Also, direct winds from the ocean will bring down the heat by a few notches too.

Asia
reviews: 41
7. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

Hi,

Like the rest said, it really depends on you and the time of year.

We have realsied that we sleep better with the AC so we must have it. We've slept in hotel rooms where there was direct breeze but just didn't sleep so well. Don't know why.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
reviews: 141
8. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

From a safety point of view I always close windows at night so if you are relying in a ceiling fan, I hope it's an efficient one.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 10
9. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

At Bingin? No and you get to hear the sound of the waves, not air con.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
reviews: 212
10. Re: Do you need an AC at night?

I also like A/C especially if the room / villa does not have insect screens. Even IF the bed has a mosquito net you still have to be in your room and the last thing you want is mosquito bites and insects in your room. Security is another issue, do you want your windows left open????

Reply to: Do you need an AC at night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted