We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How hot is it in late June-mid July?

Which Santa Ana Pueblo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 10
How hot is it in late June-mid July?

We are thinking of staying at the Hyatt Tamaya for a family vacation this summer (girls are ages 8 & 10). Seems like there's a lot of fun stuff to do in the vicinity, but I'm wondering what the weather is like. We are in Houston, so we are of course used really hot weather, but it's humid hot, not dry hot. (Which I actually think is worse). Nonetheless, I don't want to leave our steam bath to end up in a desert inferno, either. Since I've never been to this area in the summer, I have no idea what to expect...

4 replies to this topic
Bolingbrook...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque, Santa Fe
reviews: 132
1. Re: How hot is it in late June-mid July?

This area of NM is high desert. So yes, it's very much a dry heat which helps tremendously (although you need to be sure to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate). Average highs in late June-mid July run from the upper 80's in to the 90's. Of course an extra heat wave can bring on even higher temps.

What's beautiful though, is because of the high altitude, you'll find temperatures dropping 20-30 degrees at night.

I've vacationed the last two years in July/August in New Mexico and was very happy with the climate.

The monsoon season typically begins in early July (although when is any given year typical). This is a time that brings brief and very intense thunderstorms in the late afternoon and/or early evening. I love monsoon season. In fact one of my favorite times was sitting outside on the patio of the bar at Hyatt Tamaya and watching a couple storms moving around in the distance which I was sitting in the sun. Eventually, one of them changed course, gradually driving us all first to covered shelter and then inside. And then it was soon over. These storms bring a relief to the afternoon heat.

If the monsoon season hits, all it really means is to plan your essential outdoor activities (like hiking) in the mornings (you really should go hike at Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks Nationl Monument) and then indoor or outdoor with nearby shelter in the afternoons.

Keith

Taos, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Taos, New Mexico
reviews: 27
2. Re: How hot is it in late June-mid July?

As Keith says, you'll want to drink lots of water, but we have to do that all year -- even when it's cold.

Most visitors are surprised by the variation in temperatures. With low humidity and high altitudes, you'll find that you may need a light sweater once the sun sets. If one of the brief thunderstorms that develop over the nearby mountains happens to drift your way, the temps will drop dramatically in the late afternoon as well.

Having grown up on the Texas Coast, we love the climate here because if the sun feels terribly warm, you can step into the shade and immediately cool off -- that's one of the major dividends of the low humidities.

Additionally, altitude affects temperature, so if you were to ride the Sandia Tramway up to the top of Sandia Peak in the summer, the temps are going to be downright chilly especially after sunset.

Your resort will have AC as well. And a pool.

New Mexico
reviews: 9
3. Re: How hot is it in late June-mid July?

In town, you're looking at anywhere from 90 to 100 degrees dry heat. Cooler if you trek off to the mountains.

We don't often have days in excess of 100*, but if we do get them, it's right about that time frame. Late June and into July is usually the hottest part of summer. Fortunately, the heat also brings about the monsoons which often cool things down substantially in the late afternoons and make for beautiful evenings.

New Mexico
reviews: 8
4. Re: How hot is it in late June-mid July?

I agree with NMdesertdiver. 90-100 degrees is typical during this time-frame. If you are wanting to golf, hike, or do other physically active things, do it in the morning, and save the afternoons to enjoy the gorgeous pool area at Tamaya. Early morning in the high desert is remarkably beautiful, the high temperatures don't usually kick in until later in the afternoon.

Edited: 7:14 pm, March 09, 2012
Reply to: How hot is it in late June-mid July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Ana Pueblo