We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

MY
golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

does this route possible to visit?

if some one who had experience or had similar route to share. fyi im landing at chiang mai and looking forward the above route. beside that im planning to move on to pai as well.

thanks

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
1. Re: golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

No poppies fields, but you can do the "Golden Triangle", Laos and Myanmar border visits on a day tour from Chiang Rai. It can be done from Chiang Mai, but it would be a very longggggg day. Best to do it as an overnighter.

MY
2. Re: golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

errm any place that i can visit the poppy field or it is the prohibited area to visit? my intended would be the poppy field.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
reviews: 124
3. Re: golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

Casper:

I have been to Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle area many, many times and I am unaware of any means by which you could see a poppy field. If there were any to see, they would not be in a place where a tourist would have access or be welcome and would likely be an illegal grow and hidden.

You can visit the Hall of Opium in the Golden Triangle, which is a fascinating interactive museum about the history of the opium industry. It takes 2 or 3 hours to go through. There is a smaller Opium Museum about 5 minutes from the Hall of Opium that you can see in about 20 minutes.

You can do a day trip to the Golden Triangle and take a boat ride on the Mekong River where you can ride down the border of Thailand, Laos and Burma all on one boat ride. You could also cross into Burma at the border at Mae Sai.

I would not recommend a day trip from Chiang Mai to the Golden Triangle. It is a three hour drive from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and then another hour north to the Golden Triangle. You will spend most of the day in a car or on a bus and not really have any time to experience the area. You'd be better off planning to spend an overnight in Chiang Rai or Sob Ruak (Golden Triangle) so you could take in the beauty and culture of the area.

Safe Travels,

Broder

4. Re: golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:21 am, November 01, 2013
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
5. Re: golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

Poppies are not grown commercially in Thailand and the government has done its best to make sure they aren't grown illegally as well. Even back in the days of drug lords, you couldn't just stroll up as a tourist to sightsee in the poppy fields.

If you are keen on seeing huge spreads of flowers, come back in November and check out the Bua Tong (Mountain Sunflowers) that blanket the mountains near Mae Hong Son

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
6. Re: golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

You won't see poppy fields but it's still worth visiting but not as a day trip, we hired a car and did the trip and loved it.

MY
7. Re: golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

Thanks all for the valuable advice. Well I guess that I'm gonna miss the real poppy field and instead dropping by at the museum.

@Broder, as per your advice. Sob Ruak is actually located at the Golden Triangle area itself? Also, does Sob Ruak budget guesthouse around. If I travelling my self how do I get any public transport across from Chaing Rai to Sob Ruak? Thanks

8. Re: golden triangle poppy field - thailand, laos & myanmar borde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 02, 2014