We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding @ EPM June 2014, blood test ???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Wedding @ EPM June 2014, blood test ???

As subject, getting hitched in June 2014. We have been advised that we will be required to submit to a blood test (apparently this is an anti inbreeding measure !!). Also we must apparently pay for a Spanish translation of our birth certs, all of this will cost circa $400USD. My questions are -

1. Is this for real ?

2. How long does this test take to get a result ?

3. Is there any other craziness I sould be aware of in relation to getting hitched at EPM ?

Thanks in advance ! :)

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
981 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Wedding @ EPM June 2014, blood test ???

I don't know about the birth certificate translation, but yes - you do have to have blood tests, and you must be in Cancun 3 days prior to the wedding...that's how long it takes to process the blood tests and marriage license. The blood test is for STD's.

I would suggest that you contact the wedding planner at the hotel to get all of the requirements you will need, so there aren't any surprises when you get there.

Bath
Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Wedding @ EPM June 2014, blood test ???

There is a lot of countries that want blood test or medical exam, I am getting married next year in England and I was quite surprise that there is no medical exam as I am French and even in France they ask for a medical exam.

Arseneg is right I also heard that you need to be in Mexico for at least 3 days prior to the wedding. So this is definetely something you need to look into when booking your time there.

If I were you I would call the hotel and ask everything you are required to do before making any commitment, at least you would know exactly what you are getting into.

Congratulation by the way!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,033 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Wedding @ EPM June 2014, blood test ???

Those are not just requirements at EPM, but in Mexico in general. Blood test results are quick, they are just checking for STDs as the law requires.

The wedding coordinator will give you a specific checklist of requirements.

And yes, that price is pretty standard.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
Level Contributor
13,953 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Wedding @ EPM June 2014, blood test ???

Just to clarify - the purpose of the blood tests is indeed to check for STDs. If one partner has one then the federal law is designed to ensure that the other partner is aware of it when the wedding takes place (but the wedding can still go ahead). HOWEVER it appears that the state of Quintana Roo has a stronger law which absolutely precludes a marriage where one person has an STD. (There is a convoluted way round it apparently but it takes time.) Anyway if you do have an STD I would recommend forgoing a marriage in Mexico for now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Wedding @ EPM June 2014, blood test ???

Thanks for the information guys, very much appreciated. Also I would just like to clarify that I am as clean as a whistle and pox free !

6. Re: Wedding @ EPM June 2014, blood test ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 28, 2014