We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time dealing with customs

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Federal Way...
reviews: 3
first time dealing with customs

my wife and I are both U.S. citizens, we will have our passports, but other than being questioned by the customs agent (I'm guessing) is there anything else I should expect or know ? Is there an exit tax for us here in the States?

Declare what we have purchased and are bringing back. I got that.(might pack a shipping box and see about shipping our purchases back to us)

My wife will be checking 1 bag, and I'm pretty sure I can get away with using a very small amount in that bag. My carry on usually lasts me on most trips.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

dave

aka: tariss

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 116
11. Re: first time dealing with customs

We brought back two bottles of Tequila each in our carry-on suitcases. I don't drink much, but my girlfriend wanted to bring it back for her husband so I shared the burden for her, LOL! If you are ever afraid it could break, sometimes the places you buy it at have a "pre-fitted bottle bubble wrap you can slip around it. Then we put more bubble wrap around that (brought from home) and then also a big ziploc bag or garbage bag around that in case it leaks.

Albany, New York
12. Re: first time dealing with customs

Generally customs is a breeze as long as you're not bringing back crazy amounts of stuff.

A quick reminder for when entering the US side of customs, before you recheck your luggage make sure you put all liquid, candles, etc that you've bought from Mexican duty free shops in your checked luggage. Despite being purchased past the security point in Mexico, the US still sees these items as insecure and thus must be checked.

The reason why I say this is that they frequently fail to remind you this when you get past American customs.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 116
13. Re: first time dealing with customs

We fly Alaska Airlines. On our flights the flight attendants always remind the people who are transferring planes to take out those items which they've purchased at the duty free shops and had put in their carry-on...... to put them into their checked luggage before they re-check their luggage for the next flight.

vancouver, bc canada
reviews: 14
14. Re: first time dealing with customs

I second that about the alcohol, we always bring at least 2 bottles back with us to Canada and have only had breakage once with those bubble wrap slip-ons (Kahlua bottles seem to be incredibly fragile from Mexico, I have never brought one home successfully) We also bring a couple of large ziplock bags that we seal alcohol in if possible..so if it breaks you don't get it all over your clothes etc.

One problem for us (as Canadians) is going through US customs we need to pack our booze in a separate bag and check it once in the US (usually Houston) since we cannot carry it onto the next plane we are boarding. Security seems to catch a LOT of people trying to bring a big bottle onto your connecting flight...so we always bring an extra duffel to check once we are there.

kentucky
reviews: 39
15. Re: first time dealing with customs

I recommend getting 2 boxes of JUMBO Hefty Bags (about $3-4 box of 12). Put all your clothing in them if you are going to put alcohol in carry-on. Use one for each bottle, as well as necessary padding/protection. We fly carry-on only all over the world and all our clothing is in zips (sans alcohol, of course). Gallons and quarts for small stuff, too. I've smelled and seen what happens when tequila or Kahlua bottles break and it's not nice.

16. Re: first time dealing with customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:29 pm, July 31, 2013
Edited: 12:29 pm, July 31, 2013
17. Re: first time dealing with customs

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:31 pm, July 31, 2013
18. Re: first time dealing with customs

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 02, 2014