We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

Which Playa Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Nova Scotia
reviews: 4
Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

Well we are getting closer and the shopping list getting smaller :)

Just wondering if DH can wear dress shorts to supper or is it strictly long pants?

25 replies to this topic
River Falls...
reviews: 1
11. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

My "furnace" is always on hot also. When we go to indoor restaurants at EPM I will wear long pants and after dinner go back to the room and put my dress shorts and flip flops back on for the nightly entertainment. Sometimes it can be very warm in theater. Although, we were at Marina El Cid at Thanksgiving and I did not bring enough warm clothes for the evening. It was cold outside and lobby bar was freezing!!

Halifax, Nova Scotia
12. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

I hope we won't run into freezing! That would be horrible for me in my dress but DHmight like that. :(

Close toed sandals? Not dress sandals? Are they that strict? I am sure he will suffer a heart attack at that one!

New York City, New...
13. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

Dress sandals are fine. The dress code is:

For Gentlemen: Long pants, dress shirt.

Casual shoes or elegant sandals must be worn.

T-shirts, tank tops, shorts or beach sandals are not allowed.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 63
14. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

What are dress sandals? I thought closed-toed sandals were dress sandals?

New York City, New...
15. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

I thought dress sandals meant no flip-flops. I could be wrong!

Waterloo, Canada
reviews: 2
16. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

I wear a nice pair of Birkenstocks to dinner frequently with cotton pants and a collared shirt, it's a very common look. Open toed but dressy. I have only seen rubber and flip flop based sandals turned away. In our experience if you are dressing respectful there is no issue. Show up in shorts, flip flops and a tank top and well.....

Honestly the staff aren't trying to be legalistic, they are trying to create an environment so there there is an ability to get dressed up and go out for a nice meal and are protecting people who have dressed for the occasion.

Chester, United...
reviews: 48
17. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

Closed toe attire seems to be the bottom line for men for the indoor restaurants

I always wear lightweight leather slip ons in the evening and find them comfortable and cool

Norridgewock, Maine
18. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

So Birkenstocks are ok? I guess I'm confused on what a closed toe sandle is.

Norridgewock, Maine
19. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

Also can someone define dress shorts for me? I'm assuming that does not include khaki cargo shorts?

Kansas City...
20. Re: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?

Khaki Cargo shorts/Denim shorts etc. and t-shirts are fine for the outdoor restaurants. I haven't a clue what closed toed sandals are....can't even imagine!!

Reply to: Can men wear dress shorts to supper?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted