We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 18
Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

Hi, we have previously stayed at Movenpick - Karon however, this time we are travelling with our children and partners.

We are hoping someone can suggest and help us with the following. Should we look at a privately owned villa / house with full service? Or, look at a resort with villas that have say 2 or 3 bedrooms each? Can anyone recommend a lovely villa / house for between $800-$1200 AUD per night? It would need to be close to the beach anywhere from say Karon to Kata, have a pool, WIFI, IPOD dock, Kitchen, 4+ bedrooms and outdoor living area. Also needs to have ocean view. We don't mind if it is within a 5 min walk to the beach.

We are travelling in September.

Thanks.

Caroline.

9 replies to this topic
Udon Thani
reviews: 124
1. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

I'm not too familiar with what is available for 9 people, and also might be looking for more luxury than what I am familiar with, but will post in case. It will come to well under you budget.

I travel with a lot family to Karon Beach most years (last year 5 adults + 3 children) and stay at Pacific Club. We use the two bedroom suite as the main room and also get a cot in the living room. This sleeps 4 adults, and a teenager (the cot isn't too comfortable, the beds are). The bedrooms are separated, the rest all connect but has a legit kitchen, large fridge, sofa, dining table, etc. It also has a porch area. I'm not best at memory but I believe is partial beach view from balcony in one of the room I stayed but I'm not sure.

This time we used one other room which was a Pacific Deluxe room, and it was right next door to the two bedroom suite. The other guest had their own room, but then hung out at ours. (not sure if they have two next to a 2-bedroom suite or not, we needed on this one other and I mean it was right next to it).

One nice plus is the salt-water swimming pool on the top floor. It stays open till midnight but they say if quiet can use it any hours. The room service which is reasonably priced with many options and delicious food and deserts is also a plus. Another is the small hot tub pool on the ground level that has a small herbal sauna that guest can use free and I believe is also open to midnight. There is seating around the area for dinings, breakfast is generally included in the rate and has small items for buffet (fruits and sides) but then order your main dish. This is a little interesting as they have some choices you don't find elsewhere like mexican-style breakfast. It is a good, but isn't the blow you away type buffet that can find in luxury hotels, but the seating and environment is good and generally there is a westerner customer service manager making rounds to tables seeing if guest are enjoying their stay, and if there is anything they need etc.

The negative - it is probably a little more than a 5 minute walk to the beach. 10 minutes is maximum might be more like 7-8. But this is on a hill. The walk there is easy. The walk back is super brutal. The TukTuk's (which taking 2 of them will be fine for 9 people - plenty of room in these) want 200 baht for each trip to the hotel even though is right near. Perhaps can get a smaller rate if using the same one to make two trips, but sounds like budget isn't something you're too concerned with anyways and that would be a non issue. The hotel can also call the TukTuk to take you to the beach or anywhere else.

Again, this might not be what are looking for, but as I travel here with large family and really like this place figured would give it a mention, but is all I know for Karon.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
2. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

Centara Waterfront Suites ( not waterfront but very close to beach road and beach in Karon ) is a tall high rise so great sea views, apartments are 'huge' and very good value for money indeed , living areas, kitchen etc etc

Close to restaurants, shops etc, recently priced October for 2 bedroom was AU$80 a night for 3 persons in a 2 bedroom, so very good value :)

www.centarahotelsresorts.com/wsp/tour.asp

Edited: 4:18 am, June 03, 2014
South Pole
reviews: 4
3. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

Did you not like Movenpick ? Were the "Residence" apartments there when you went ?

www.phuket.com/moevenpick/residence.htm

We booked a villa tied to The Sheraton Grand Laguna (now Angsana) in Bangtao bay (so no good for you. No seaview either) and found it great to have your own space, and be able to use the hotel facilities as well. I figure Movenpick would be the same.

Each Residence at Movenpick fits 4 (2 bedrooms), plenty of youtube videos show you the apartments inside and out. Movenpick currently has a 'summer special' on but if you needed three rooms, you'd probably be over budget.

Your own private villa would be nice and i recall plenty when we were looking around Kata, with big pools, staff, some even included a butler ! But no matter how big the pool, it would not be as big as the one in the hotel. And they were not as well located, usually up on a hill (for the view) on the outskirts of the beach area. Still, pretty special.

If you haven't picked dates, check prices for both halves of the month. Sometimes 2nd half of the month was cheaper at some places we looked at. We booked thru pips but I don't think they do Kata/Karon so much. There are so many to choose from anyway, especially with your generous budget. Good Luck !

oh looks like pips do have some:

phuketvillarentals.com/villas.php?location=9

Edited: 8:53 am, June 03, 2014
sydney
reviews: 17
4. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

May I suggest Kata Beach.

Make sure you select a resort on the beach or near the beach. Many are some distance from the beach.

So much better than Karon.

However there is a villa Marina Resort at the southern end of Karon on the hill directly over the beach just past the Beyond Resort ( previously karon beach resort ) which is also worth a look. These 2 resorts would be the best at Karon in my opinion.

Suggestion...Take the blue bus to Phuket town 35 thb and hop on a Patong Bus 30 thb for any shopping.

Karon & Kata shopping much costlier than Phuket town or Patong.

sydney
reviews: 17
5. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

Meant to say at Karon.

It is the Marina Phuket Resort on the southern hill over looking the beach. They have villas.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
6. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

horizon resort and sa

amazing

kids club

fantastic service/meals/pools!

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
reviews: 294
7. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

Caroline, have a look at Villas.com they are part of Booking.com. There are about 300 listing for villas, apartments etc in Phuket. Plenty of lovely villas well within your budget :)

http://tinyurl.com/llssnyo

Cathy

Edited: 9:27 pm, June 16, 2014
Phuket
reviews: 4
8. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

Hi , I can recommend you try contacting 'Amazing Phuket Property' . It is run by a guy called Jeremy Khan . He's been here in Phuket for around 20 years and specializes in Villa rentals to suit most budgets. I know he has a great selection to choose from . I've copied in the link below to his website . I hope this helps !

www.amazingphuketproperty.com

Giles - Offspray Leisure Speed Boat Charters - Phuket

Bali, Indonesia
9. Re: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9

we stayed at pacific club. they have pretty large rooms but for a family of 9, i would recommend apartment or villa so you wont put comfort and space in jeopardy. try oasis villa or nin apartments via pandabed. negotiate the price since you are a large group.

Reply to: Looking for accomodation for a family of 9
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted