We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

Hi Trip Advisors,

I will be coming along with my wife and child (3yrs old) to Phuket for 3- 4 nights during the 2nd half of Oct.. Am confused whether we should stay in Karon or Kata - Both look very similar. We are looking for a place which has a good beach and has decent dining/ drinking / shopping options close by.Plan to stay away from patong and travel there for a evening.

Am looking at Avista Phuket Resort & Spa / Kathathani Beach Resort in Kata. In karon the shortlisted options are - Mandarava Resort/ Pacific Club resort or the Movenpick. The budget per night is about 125 USD. Is there an alternate hotel we should be looking at?

We will also be going to Krabi and wanted to check if one should do the Phi Phi island tour from Phuket or Krabi.

Thanks a bunch...

1. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:40 am, September 18, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

I would also have a look at the Katat Beach resort as it's direct on the beach and the Centara Group hotels which are very family oriented, the Grand is nice.

www.katagroup.com/kata-beach/

www.centarahotelsresorts.com

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 174
3. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

Hi

Kata and Karon are not really similar.

Karon is a very long beach. The middle bit is the Hilton, which then naturally splits the beach into two. The northern bit and the southern bit. The northern bit is just over the hill from Patong. The middle bit is pretty quiet, then you move to the southern bit which is more lively village feel a it joins with Kata.

Kata is much smaller. Again sort of split into two bits, but because it is smaller you don't notice it so much. The northern bit is the southern bit on Karon - so a nice busy village feel. The beach is sort of divided by the Movepick. The southern bit of Kata is very villagey, although is growing up pretty quickly

If you are looking at the Kathathani then you also need to be aware that it is on another beach - Kata Noi. Kata Noi is south of Kata and very quiet, peaceful and like Kata use to be.

Phi Phi is slightly nearer Ao Nang in Krabi Provence than it is to Phuket Island. However, Kata / Karon are about 30-40mins from where the Phuket boats leave from to when going to Phi Phi. Phi Phi is overated, IMO.

New Delhi, India
4. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

Hi there, thanks for the inputs...Havent read good reviews of the KBR - location is on the beach but am told the hotel is jadded where as the Centara grand is way beyond budget.

Should I go ahead with Avista or look at Mandarva/ Centara Karon / Movenpick. Pls help keeping in mind we need the following - good location - restaurants/ shopping/ beach in proximity, kid friendly and not unreasonablt expensive.

Thanks once again..

5. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

Katathani

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1210687-d54013…

Le Meridien

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1215780-d30252…

Centara grand

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1215780-d17938…

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 7
6. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

I think Mandarava Resort and Spa now has a no child policy - unfortunately.

Australia
reviews: 34
7. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

We are staying at Mandarava right now and it is beautiful. Not sure there is a no children policy as we saw a toddler in the pool today.

A lot of walking up and down steep hills and stairs though so I don't think it's ideal for young children.

Australia
reviews: 34
8. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

Just saw on Mandarava's website that the resort is implementing a no children under 12 policy from 13 oct 2013.

Port Sorell...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

we are staying at centara karon beach in mid-late october with our 6 and 7 year old and have heard nothing but positive feedback about the place, the travel agent highly recommended it. I guess time will tell. I dont think it was very expensive, we are staying in the tropicale room. Maybe you should have a look at them?

10. Re: Pls Help - Hotels In Karon/ Kata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 25, 2014