We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karon or Patong

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
Karon or Patong

My girlfriend and I (both 25) will be visiting Phuket in the middle of November and we can't decide whether to stay in Karon and Patong. We are looking to relax on the beach but also like to keep busy some days with day trips or sight seeing etc. Can any recommend one over the other? Also any must do activities in either location?

We are playing on visitng Krabi and Phi Phi afterwards.

Thanks.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 121
1. Re: Karon or Patong

Why not stay a couple of days in each ?

I prefer Karon to Patong myself, just a nicer place without the crowds & much fewer drunken idiots

Queensland...
reviews: 11
2. Re: Karon or Patong

I too would recommend Karon over Patong. We have only just arrived back tonight from our fourth trip to Phuket. Our son and partner spent eight nights in Karon on their first time ever in Phuket and thoroughly enjoyed it they loved they didn't have the full on atmosphere of Patong 24/7 but close enough to go on and party if you like. Our daughter leaves this Tuesday and is staying in Karon she has stayed there previously but also in Kata. They are all I'm their early 20s.

There are some great little restaurants bars etc in Karon. Kennys Aussie bar is great Bai Toey restaurant No Name Ging I could go on.

Still on a high from another great holiday :)

Geelong
reviews: 5
3. Re: Karon or Patong

Patong.....you don't have to stay right on Bangla Road, you can stay 5-10 mins nth or Seth and its quieter. You still walking distance from everything ( beach, otop, Junceylon, Bangla Rd, Nickys, everything)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Karon or Patong

Between the 2 another vote for Karon, but I prefer Kata over Karon, a nice little village with a good choice of restaurants.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
5. Re: Karon or Patong

For tours / trips does not matter where you stay

Depends if you want to be close to nightlife bars pubs shopping etc in which case Patong, if you want beach + reasonable number of restaurants / bars and perhaps pop in to Patong if you wanted then Karon, Kata is another option + there are other beaches , but Karon or Kata may suit or Patong if you want lively

Cambridge, UK
reviews: 14
6. Re: Karon or Patong

When I'm on Phuket, I tend to stop on Karon Beach (Kata is a little too quiet for me, especially in low season). If you want a night out in Patong to see what the fuss is all about then it's easy to get there by taxi - though be sure to negotiate for a decent rate.

australia
reviews: 17
7. Re: Karon or Patong

first stay we stayed in Karon boring as hell for us nicer beach but nothing else really especially at night

we found ourselves going into patong nearly every night so on our next seven visits its been Patong (8th coming up in November) everything is there nightlife hustle and bustle and we are in our late 40's

Edited: 9:58 am, June 13, 2013
Gold Coast
reviews: 33
8. Re: Karon or Patong

Agree with hawk.

Western Australia...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Karon or Patong

I prefer Karon, there are many things to do but not as packed and busy as Patong. If you are for nightlife, Patong might be a better choice.

Reading, United...
10. Re: Karon or Patong

Thank you all for your advice