We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with babies...

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Travelling with babies...

We are coming to Karon beach in early May, with my 7 month old & 4 year old, together with our friends with their 15 month old. Any travel suggestions? We'd really like to do a couple of day trips, both to ride elephants and to islands, but will they be safe with babies. Should we hire babysitters to stay with them at the hotel (Centara Karon) or take one with us for the day? My 4 year old won't want to miss out on anything... Any other advice?

brisbane
reviews: 16
1. Re: Travelling with babies...

I took my (then) 6 month old last year and we're going again this July.

Most speedboat trips won't take kids under 2yrs.

You'd have to contact the sailboat tours to see if they'd take you.

As we'd been 4 times before we didn't feel the need to go to the islands last trip.

brisbane
reviews: 16
2. Re: Travelling with babies...

I took my (then) 6 month old last year and we're going again this July.

Most speedboat trips won't take kids under 2yrs.

You'd have to contact the sailboat tours to see if they'd take you.

As we'd been 4 times before we didn't feel the need to go to the islands last trip.

Personally if nominate one of your party to stay at home for the day and look after the babies

Mindarie, Australia
reviews: 3
3. Re: Travelling with babies...

as far as elephant rides are concerned no problem we took our 18 month old and i just held him on my lap

Buffalo, New York
reviews: 14
4. Re: Travelling with babies...

Please keep in mind the cruelty elephants in Thailand endure for you to ride them. Educate yourself on this first before deciding whether this is worth it. …nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/photoga…

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 75
5. Re: Travelling with babies...

Hi There,

we have taken our son on elephant treks several times from the age of 3, i would advise to make sure you go with a company that treats them properly as some companys are very cruel to the elephants, we normally use and suggest Siam Safari as they are very good & look after the elephants.

As mentioned most boat trips wont take kids under 2yo, make sure you use a good boat company if you go for a day trip, i would suggest conatcting Captain Mark on TA.

Only drink bottled water & most baby products are readily available in the supermarkets so no need to worry about taking anything from Aust, use mossie repellent at all times to avoid bites & have a great trip

TX

Buffalo, New York
6. Re: Travelling with babies...

Despite how it appears, all those elephants were still cruelly beat in order to be "domesticated" and used for trekking. They were all subjected to phajaan, where multiple men beat them for days on end in order to crush their spirit so they could be used as a money maker in the tourist industry. Please consider volunteering or visiting at an elephant sanctuary, such as Elephant Nature Park, instead next time you visit.

It's because of tourists like you that these animals are tortured and nearly extinct.

Geelong
reviews: 5
7. Re: Travelling with babies...

Hey Pretty sprinkles,

Easy up each to their own. I don't condone animal cruelty but I have taken my two young children on Elephant rides and because of it they are absolute Elephant lovers and they spread the good word through their school and mates. People are more cruel to each other even in these modern days. As bad as it can be we have to educate our kids now to prevent further cruelty. Without tourists having rides and learning and caring for Elephants they wouldn't exist.

By all means take your children for an Elephant ride, educate them get them into nature and animals. Your kids will love it. They will have a life long great attitude towards Elephants.

Geelong
reviews: 5
8. Re: Travelling with babies...

Vacant visitor,

I took my kids over to Phuket when one was 13 months old and the other. They are 4 & 5 now. They have been 3 times and going again mid year. We all love the place, the weather, food, thepeople everything. We always ferry to Phi Phi Island. 1 1/2 hours there relaxing. Can get rough, hot and crowded though in May-Oct. Check weather forecast. Koh Ckang Elephant rides are great for the kids just South of Kdata beach. Siam safari is good. You're on holiday just drag the kids around. Have them in strollers so theory doze off. Enjoy it, you'll be surprised how the kids will adapt.

Buffalo, New York
9. Re: Travelling with babies...

I understand to each his own, but please also understand the hypocrisy in what you are saying. You don't condone animal cruelty, yet you partake in activities in which animals are abused so they can be "trained" for these rides, etc. Their numbers would flourish much more if they weren't beaten into domestication, which often kills and injures them.

If you were true elephant lovers, you would spend your time protecting them. While people are mean to each other, these animals have no choice and are forced into lives of slavery.

Just consider the facts and the behind-the-scenes details before you take a ride next time. That's all I'm suggesting.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 23
10. Re: Travelling with babies...

My biggest worry would be the flight. Screaming kids on planes ....Yikes