We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas trip in Snowy Mountains

Which Kosciuszko National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 21
Christmas trip in Snowy Mountains

We live in Brisbane and are thinking of hiring a car and heading down to the Snowy Mountains this Christmas. We are a family of 2 Adults and 2 teenage kids and will probably have 10 days all up. Any hints on what to do and where to go? We'll probably be leaving Brisbane 23 December.

5 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
1. Re: Christmas trip in Snowy Mountains

Is this instead of Tasmania or are you weighing up which to do?

You've posted on the Kosciuszko forum, I'm just wondering do you want to know specifically about that area or also about the journey there?

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 21
2. Re: Christmas trip in Snowy Mountains

Hi - at the moment we are weighing up our options. I think we are more than likely going to stick to mainland Australia so have begun thinking of other areas. Also, my son is due to leave school this year so we aren't too sure if he will be joining us or not. At the moment we have no knowledge of where to go or what to do in the Snowy Mountains area so thought I would start gathering information while we still have time to decide.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
3. Re: Christmas trip in Snowy Mountains

So 10 days all up in the mountains?

Just off the top of my head there's bushwalking (you can walk to the top of Mount Kosciuszko), mountainbiking, horseriding, all those sorts of outdoorsy pursuits. One chairlift at Thredbo runs during summer (does climbing Mount Kosciuszko count if you got a bit of help at the bottom I wonder?). Depending on whether you want to explore further, there's the dams and power stations of the hydro scheme, caves, history walk around Cooma, historic railway in Cooma, watersports on Lake Jindabyne, etc. It would be useful to know more about what sort of holiday you're after, eg just relaxing and enjoying scenery and good food, an active holiday with proximity to a variety of attractions being important, self-contained accommodation, happy to jump in the car for a trip somewhere a bit further afield, etc? I'm sure our Cooma member will chime in with better details than I can provide but it's always useful for us to have a bit of a steer as to what you're looking for. I'm also thinking there might be a music festival and/or sporting activity in the region sometime in January? That might be a positive or a negative for you. I don't want to be too opportunistic but I suppose as DE I should also ask the obvious question, were you thinking of visiting Canberra on the way?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
4. Re: Christmas trip in Snowy Mountains

MacKnee - love your "royal" themed profile pic!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
5. Re: Christmas trip in Snowy Mountains

For 10 days I would make Jindabyne or somewhere close my base, buy a National Park Pass that is worth it and do the following:

1. Do the Main Range track and Mt Kosciuszko climb from Charlotte Pass - it's a must-do

2. At least one or two other day walks, there are plenty to choose from. Get the free KNP guide from the NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service, they send it to your home address:

…nsw.gov.au/parkinfo/KosciTodayRequestForm.h…

3. Yarrangobilly Caves are excellent, there's a heated pool there too.

4. Go fishing on Lake Eucumbene or Lake Jindabyne, or just go and visit one of the trout farms in the area to "Catch" a fish.

5. Explore one of the power stations (I think one is open to the public)

6. Do a drive up to the northern parts of KNP through the Snowy Mountains Highway, come back via the Khancoban Road

7. Explore some of the historic villages around the Snowy Area - MacKnee's suggestion of Cooma is good.

8. There are paddle boats and the like on Lake Jindabyne.

I would combine this holiday with a trip either to the lower South Coast of NSW or to Canberra - you can easily spend a few days there on the way or the way back.

Reply to: Christmas trip in Snowy Mountains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kosciuszko National...