We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car/scooter rental

Which Kata Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
100 Mile House...
reviews: 18
Car/scooter rental

How is the traffic in Phuket? We are wondering if a scooter would be dangerous and would be better off with a car? I might add that we are from Canada and not familar with driving on the left. Our other option would be to hire a car and driver. Any idea how much that each would cost?

Darwin
reviews: 168
31. Re: Car/scooter rental

Thanks! I don't take my Australian helmet just a cheapie that I bought in Bali a couple of years ago it just sits good and doesn't ride back when you get the wind in your hair! The helmet shop in kata is .... Turn left at the t intersection drivin away from the beach, go approx 1km and it's on the left. I am sure the beach inn lady will be able o show you where. There were also bikes outside a couple of the optical stores but I just didn't like the styles and they were 250 rather than the 150ish honda click ones. Lou darwin

Singapore
reviews: 2
32. Re: Car/scooter rental

I see, thanks once again. I got the contact for a online that charges about 1400baht for about 5 days. Only thing is its a 125cc bike which I do not think is enough as I would want to travel to Phuket Town as well which is pretty far off, about 30 minutes at least and a smaller bike just don't cut it I guess. The bikes that you saw of 250cc are further down near Beach Inn hotel ?

Edited: 12:18 pm, October 08, 2013
Darwin
reviews: 168
33. Re: Car/scooter rental

Personally I don't think you will need 250cc although most places have both 250 and 125, even if you are going into phuket town for the day. I would definitely wait till you get there because booking online you really don't know the quality that you are getting and safety should be your number one concern. Lou darwin

Bangkok
34. Re: Car/scooter rental

The 250cc bikes will not scooters either. They will have manual gears and be dirt bike style (KLX or CRF) or regular road bikes like the CBR250.

Forster
reviews: 8
35. Re: Car/scooter rental

I have hired a car in phuket previously and have booked again with Braun car hire who i can recommend. I prefer to be in control of my own safety rather than trust a driver. I have been driven by some shockers. If you drive carefully, keep your wits about you and avoid driving at night you will be fine. I find hiring a car cheaper and more convenient than using tuk tuks. Will be there again next week. Yipee!

wollongong
reviews: 10
36. Re: Car/scooter rental

You hire a driver for the day, you tell him where to take you, he takes you there and takes you home when you are finished. Pretty simple logic in any country. They drive, you relax. The only way to go, why would you want to drive anything while you are on holiday when you can pay a very cheap price to hire a driver for the day and you do some sightseeing?

Bangkok
37. Re: Car/scooter rental

'They drive, you relax' - I think I have only been able to relax with 2 drivers in Thailand, most of them scare the living daylights out of me so I much prefer to drive myself, as do other people. Also you don't need to pay a driver, deal with communication problems or even have any kind of plan of where you are going.

Singapore
reviews: 2
38. Re: Car/scooter rental

I rented a 125cc scooter in the end which I think is enough for most of the flat roads but for the steep roads of Phuket is quite worrying especially with other vehicles such as buses struggling to go up the steep slope. But still a transport is needed either way especially if u are nt at a convenient area. It saves quite alot per trip if you would want to travel to many places. Had a great time with my bike :)

39. Re: Car/scooter rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 20, 2014