We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car/scooter rental

Which Kata Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
100 Mile House...
reviews: 18
Car/scooter rental

How is the traffic in Phuket? We are wondering if a scooter would be dangerous and would be better off with a car? I might add that we are from Canada and not familar with driving on the left. Our other option would be to hire a car and driver. Any idea how much that each would cost?

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
reviews: 17
1. Re: Car/scooter rental

Bike rentals for a Honda Click is 150 to 200 Bt a day. You need to have a license to drive. A car from about 1000Bt a day.

Driving here can be unpredictable. There is an extensive FAQ about driving on the Phuket Forum.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 3
2. Re: Car/scooter rental

I strongly suggest hiring a driver if you're at all uncomfortable driving on the wrong side of the road. As it stands riding bikes is the #1 killer and injurer of tourists on the island, a car would be better but the traffic has an ebb and flow soft chaos system to it so there are a few things on your plate to deal with, you can also add navigating unfamiliar territory and sightseeing to that - all at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of people do it without harm but a driver knows where to go, you can check out the environment and you don't have to worry about accidents, all a plus.

Bangkok, Thailand
3. Re: Car/scooter rental

As Above, go for a car & driver. Scooter/bikes are killers!

100 Mile House...
reviews: 18
4. Re: Car/scooter rental

Thanks everyone. I've read some of the forums and it sounds like we'd be better hiring a car/driver, especially in the high season, when it's likely to be busy.

Phuket
5. Re: Car/scooter rental

Hi Barbs

I am a Brit living in Phuket & I would have no problems recommending hiring a car, it allows you to explore the island and there is lots to see.

Getting a driver is a fine alternative but you will be taken to the usual tourist spots only( which are great).

The standard of driving in Thailand is poor and the road accident level is high in comparison to other places but its not as bad as some would have you think especially through the day.

It does get busier from about 5pm to 9pm & after that you have to worry about the drink drivers( the laws here arent really enforced). I would suggest most accidents occur from this time onwards. So maybe use taxis of an evening. read this blog to give you some idea.

…blogspot.com/2011/07/drive-safely-in-phuket…

I love exploring on my motorbike, but motorbikes are as mentioned the main reason for serious injuries to tourists, so unless you are really confident & experienced , then a car is the best option imo.

Make sure you have a International Driving Licence. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Antipodes
reviews: 121
6. Re: Car/scooter rental

"Any other questions feel free to PM me."

The trouble with inviting PM's is that no one else gets to share it, and evaluate if the advice you're giving is accurate or legitimate.

Like mentioning the need for an International Driving Licence (a mythical scam) when it is in fact an International Driving Permit.

Looking at your blog link, I would suggest you could beef it up and also benefit from the information referred to from the FAQ's, here's a link;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

Perth, Australia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Car/scooter rental

I doubt a good driver will only take you to the usual tourist spots, you pay, you call the shots, they can help with ideas but it's your final decision.

Any experiences to add here, anyone, to clarify either way?

Anyone been able to call the shots?

Anyone hijacked by a driver and not been able to change his mind?

Any drivers to recommend or avoid?

I managed to get a driver to take us back to our hotel with no diversions along the way, he was kind and keen to provide the service we requested.

Phuket
8. Re: Car/scooter rental

Wow Fourb2.

I feel like I have just been told off, Im simply trying to help the good folks of tripadvisor.

I live on Phuket and wanted to give some of my experiences of the Island and help people out.

I am giving my opinion and anyone is welcome to correct me if im mistaken, or they have had different experiences.

When i said Licence I was referring to the driving licence that is issued when you pass your driving test in you own country + International PERMIT, my bad for not explaining this correctly.

Regarding the PM i'm simply giving people the option to ask me something directly but i'm all for posting on the forum, ive nothing to hide.

Yes the blog needs beefing up i agree but it is very new & im learning as i go

Phuket
9. Re: Car/scooter rental

Hi Pokip

Of course you call the shots , I totally agree. I just think its a great experience to explore the island on your own.

A good driver will recommend places and take you where you want to go, but not much good if your new to the island and have no idea where to go.

Im personally a little more adventurous and when i first came to the island I just loved driving around, sometimes getting lost but also finding some great spots which lots of tourists miss out on.

For the less adventurous then a good recommended driver is certainly the way to go.

Antipodes
reviews: 121
10. Re: Car/scooter rental

Yep, I can see you're really trying to help.

I wouldn't have bothered trying to point you in the right direction if you hadn't been.