We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

Ladd, Illinois
reviews: 37
Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

We arrived in Sicily Sept 14 thru Catania airport. Staying 5 days at Casa di Melo in Cassibile (outside Syracusa). Review has been done. Fantastic place, highly recommend. Easy to drive to Syracusa, Ragusa, Noto ... Then drove to Scopello where we are staying in a villa owned by my cousin until we leave from Catania 10/19.

We just finished two different days of geneology touring with Rosy (listed on BestofSicily.com). OMG, what a trip this has been. First city was Caccamo where my mother's father's family roots are imbedded. I stood in the church my greatgrandparents were married. I stood in the piazza of the church where I knew my grandfather would have played after church and looked over a low wall to the centuries old stone road below watching cars drive by. It hit me that any little kid would be drawn to this "look over the wall" thing and I was kinda overcome with emotion to know I could very well be touching the wall grandpa and those before him also touched as they looked over. Our record hunting produced a probable relative who came to meet me. We still have some i's to dot but death records & cemetery records are pointing in this direction.

In Nicosia, I also met a probable relative from my mother's grandmother's side. We even have a similiar "hook" Sicilian nose, LOL ... Record hunting was a little more difficult here as the "keeper of the gate" in the record office was finicky little man who insisted complete and utter compliance to sit there while only he could go thru the books (understandable due to their age though) and we could not ask questions unless put into a written form. When you are record hunting, as I found in Caccamo, things happen fast as you find a name and date which sends you on the hunt into other record books ... The man at Caccamo and the cemetery there were very helpful and enjoyed the hunt as much as we did when the puzzle started coming together. I was profuse in my thanks for their expertise as well as geneologist, Rosy, in knowing what questions to ask.

We are loving Sicily at our own pace. No big cities for me, driving medieval streets a little too much. Doing much driving in the rural and mountain areas. Sitting in Scopello's town square is a delight watching the world go by. Have been to San Vito lo Capo as easy to get to and drive in. We are going back to take the boat excursion that takes us back to Scopello for Zingaro and tuna factory ... to take it from here we have to walk down to the sea ... we can do that fine but have to walk back up to the parking area on the road which is QUITE uphill .... easier at San Vito lo Capo and not as expensive but still about a 4 hour excursion.

Today, I celebrated my birthday here in Sicily. Ah, life is good !!!

Sharon

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
1. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

Auguri Sharon K!

Good to hear from you and thank you for the Agriturismo La Casa di Melo review!

I am so happy for you Sharon, quite moved, and feel privileged to have shared in planning your holiday – How wonderful that you were able to find family, and that so many were willing to help trace your ancestry. No doubt they genuinely enjoyed the excitement of the hunt, because family is so important to us. No doubt they truly appreciated your gratitude.

Scopello is a little gem, so enjoy – Enjoy Zingaro, enjoy your birthday!

The best –

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
2. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

And compliments to Rosy as well – Rosy is excellent! Glad you were able to connect…

rosybartolotta@yahoo.it

Vagabonda

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 81
3. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

Email contact for Rosa bounced back. Does anyone have new email for her?

Baton Rouge...
reviews: 29
4. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

I contacted her at rosybartolotta@yahoo.it.

Seattle, Washington
5. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

Thanks will give that a try

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
6. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

Yes, contact Rosy at rosybartolotta@yahoo.it

bestsicilyguides.com/sicilianfamilyresearch.…

Vagabonda

Seattle, Washington
7. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

She responded tganks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
8. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

Rosy is wonderful freberd - Enjoy!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Fantastic Geneology Tour - found relatives!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, April 27, 2014