We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

reviews: 2
Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

We'll be staying at Lake Willoughby for just three days in early July. Our goal is to relax, swim, and kayak. But we've never been in this corner of Vermont, so we want to know if there are any must see or do things that we should really make an effort for. Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
reviews: 7
1. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

You can easily fill three days at Lake Willoughby just relaxing, swimming and kayaking. To mix it up, there is good biking on rural town roads, and good hiking as well. Mt. Pisgah is a popular hike in the area, but there are lots of trails in the Willoughby state forest. westmoreassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/E…

In my opinion, you are paying to stay on a beautiful lake for a relatively short period of time, so I'd focus my attention on that area and not spend time driving off to other sights. (And really there's not a whole lot in the area except other lakes, hikes, rural areas, etc.)

Boston...
2. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

The whole area is beautiful but you will already be at the only thing that sticks out in my mind as a must see.

I really enjoy cycling or driving the secondary roads in the area but noting in particular sticks out.

I think you should just take in the scenery as it comes. Go for a random drive if you want to get away from the lake but no need to go anywhere in particular because it's nice no matter where you go.

The Glover General store is quite interesting as far as generaly stores go.

3. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

Thanks for the information. You're confirming what I had thought--that we'd basically spend our time enjoying the lake, would take a hike or two, and would maybe drive around a bit but not too far. Sounds perfect!

Vermont
reviews: 1
4. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

Not sure what you're into but there's a nudist beach on the southern end of the lake.

That one's on my must-not-see list but you know … the option is there for you. ;)

Lyndonville, Vermont
reviews: 7
5. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

If it rains, there's the Old Stone House in Brownington.

Or the Fairbanks Museum in St Johnsbury

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 42
6. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

Yes -- the Fairbanks Museum! -- and the St. Johnsbury Athenaeum, even if it's not raining.

Lower Waterford, VT
reviews: 6
7. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

While in the Northeast Kingdom, plenty of activity and day trip options can be found here - rabbithillinn.com/activity/…bc3

8. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

We're back from our short stay at Lake Willoughby. It was great. We mostly hung out and enjoyed the view, went kayaking and swimming and took a hike. We also drive around the area a little and enjoyed the vistas (the view from Sentinel Rock just east of the lake is astounding). But mostly we chilled. A perfect break.

conn
reviews: 119
9. Re: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear what people really end up doing.

Reply to: Must See's in Northeast Kingdom?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northeast Kingdom
More Northeast Kingdom Topics