We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Being disabled and heraklion airport

Which Kato Stalos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
reviews: 18
Being disabled and heraklion airport

I am disabled and use a walker. My husband and I will be departing from Heraklion to athens after visiting chania. I have heard that heralkion airport is not very disabled friendly and a bit of a nightmare even if you are able bodied. I want to hear from any disabled people who have used heraklion airport. Is it really as bad as i have heard and were the disabled people ok and able to get around the airport and on the plane? Can you get someone to help you? I am very concerned!!

9 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

Hi Mazzie

Dont worry about it.I am not disabled but did have a bike accident which disabled myself for a few weeks and i had to go through the airport.The airport is all one level apart from duty free.They very nicely got me a wheelchair which they loaded onto a truck and it lifts you onto the plane,so no probs with transfer bus or steps.

Martin

sydney
2. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

Martin, i am so relieved to hear that!! Some more questions please.

Did you have to contact the airport ahead of time to request the wheelchair?

Or did you ask at check-in for assistance?

Did you bypass the long lines which apparently go out the door??

I am so sorry for your accident and i hope that you are on the mend now.

And thanks for the very quick reply!

Maureen

London, United...
3. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

When you arrive just go to the check-in of your airline and they sort it out for you,there is usually a manager at the check-in to deal with.

The check-in can be a pain at peak times but i have always found Chania airport worse but you will bypass the long wait anyway so that"s no problem.

As for the accident,no problems thanks,should have listened to mum about riding Motorbikes.

Enjoy your trip to beautiful Crete

sydney
4. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

Martin, i just remembered that our flight leaves heraklion at 6.30am!! which means we will have to be there close to 5.30am!! I am hoping that there wont be many people around that time. And now i see that we are flying into Souda airport chania and not the international airport. I will have to check that airport out now.

Yes, you should have listened to your mother lol. But i never did and neither do my kids, 28 and 25. Always remember that mother knows best!!

Glad to hear you have recovered and thanks for all your help. Maureen

London, United...
5. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

Maureen,not a problem,pleased to help.Souda airport is an international airport,they have the two on Crete,i would get your airline to call ahead to Chania/Souda airport to arrange being met with a wheelchair.

Heraklion airport will be empty at that time more or less with mainly internal traverlers.

If you have any more problems,ask away,if i can not answer them,there are plenty on here who can.

Regards Martin

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 55
6. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

Hi Maureen

I feel I need to make sure you know the logistics of your day of departure. My sincere apologies if this isn't necessary. If you are staying in Chania, and departing from Heraklion, there is a journey of 140km (about 2.5 hours) between the 2. So you would have to set off in the middle of the night, unless of course you have already moved on to Heraklion. Is there some reason why you are not flying out of Chania?

Martin is right, it should be quiet unless there have been any delays to charter flights.

Once again, please ignore my comments if you are already aware of the journey involved.

Steve.

Edited: 3:46 am, April 16, 2012
Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 310
7. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

Hi Maureen

I have replied to your PM.

sydney
8. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

Hi Steve, sorry, i didnt explain myself properly in my first post. we are staying in chania for 3 nights, then driving to Heraklion and staying for 3 nights. Your comment was very much appreciated. I never expected to get such quick replies from wonderful people. Many thanks to you all.

sydney
9. Re: Being disabled and heraklion airport

GB, i found your PM, will read later and reply. Many thanks.

Reply to: Being disabled and heraklion airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kato Stalos