We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cretan Dream Royal Hotel and airport transfer or car rental

Which Kato Stalos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 45
Cretan Dream Royal Hotel and airport transfer or car rental

Hello,

We are flying to Chania and staying for a week and are staying at Cretan Dream Royal Hotel in Kato Stalos. We want to have a car for 2-3 days for sure to drive around but won't necessarily want a car for the whole stay. We are wondering if we should book a car at airport to get to hotel and then return or just get a taxi from airport and then book the car later from the hotel or locally? If taxi is expensive then we would prefer to keep the car for the whole week of course.

Different websites mention that the airport is 23 km away and around 35 min drive. My questions for anyone who may be able to help:

1- Does anyone know how much the taxi from Chania airport to hotel will approximately cost?

2- Any other options beside taxi to get to the hotel (e.g. public transfers)?

3- What would you suggest? Car for the week or car for half of the week + one leg of transport to airport?

4- Any car rental company that you would recommend in that area or in Chania airport?

5- Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

sligo
1. Re: Cretan Dream Royal Hotel and airport transfer or car rental

Hi,

Hopefully I will be able to answer some of your queries. A taxi to Kato Stalos does not appear to be expensive.

Below is the taxi tariff, a bit out of date but if you add between 15 and 20 % you should be there or thereabouts.

www.explorecrete.com/various/crete-taxis.htm

Regarding public transport it will depend on what time you arrive: You will get the public bus from the airport to the main bus depot in Hania and buy your ticket from there to Stalos. As you can see from the link below there are appoximately 30 a day.

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

I use Athens cars and have no complaints so far. Perhaps it would be best to shop around the car rental sites, email your request and see who will deliver and pick up without adding too much to the overall cost for this service. Depending on when you are traveling you may find that some companies are already booked up or do not have your preferred car available.

Enjoy

Bobo

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 45
2. Re: Cretan Dream Royal Hotel and airport transfer or car rental

Hi Bobo,

Very kind of you to reply and very helpful hints!! Thank you so much!!

Picky

Coconut Creek...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Cretan Dream Royal Hotel and airport transfer or car rental

We rented a car for 3 weeks while in Crete. The only nightmare to drive was in downtown Chania. Do anything to avoid this. We had 4 days between reservations so thought we would go to Chania, check it out and decide whether to stay there. We turned around at the water and headed right back out. Went over the mountain to the South Coast and had wonderful seaside rooms for 30 euros per day. The airport is out of the traffic. I would take a taxi to the hotel and feel things out from there. You will definately want to rent a car to drive out into the country. I also know that there were several day bus trips to the south side of Crete for the day. They sounded pretty good to me.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Mary Joe

4. Re: Cretan Dream Royal Hotel and airport transfer or car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kato Stalos