We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

santorini

Which Akrotiri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke-on-Trent...
santorini

Is the archaeological site of Akrotiri open yet?

17 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
reviews: 12
1. Re: santorini

Nope - not yet nor in the foreseeable I'm afraid.

Stoke-on-Trent...
2. Re: santorini

oh thats such a shame

Stoke-on-Trent...
3. Re: santorini

Oh thats such a shame

gloucester
reviews: 73
4. Re: santorini

Unfortunately not, we went in May 2011 & it was closed, sadly,

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
reviews: 21
5. Re: santorini

There's talk of it opening for the 2012 season, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Martin

New York City, New...
reviews: 751
6. Re: santorini

Oh, what a shame! There was another discussion thread here on TripAdvisor where someone had a friend who worked on Santorini who told him a small portion of the site would be open for the 2011 tourist season. I guess he was wrong!

Komotini, Greece
reviews: 45
7. Re: santorini

Akrotiri is closed indefinitely. That means that no one should be planning to see it at any given time. If it reopens, that will be great news for all, but please don't put off a trip by a year hoping to visit when it's open. It could be many years off yet.

CRETE
reviews: 16
8. Re: santorini

Only the archaeological site of Ancient Thira is open.

New York City, New...
reviews: 751
9. Re: santorini

Thanks for the updated information on Akrotiri. I would imagine that the repair efforts are government-funded, and since the Greek government has no money as we know, that would indicate nothing will be happening any time soon. But considering we will just be in Santorini for one day, and are going to several other places that have first-class ruins (Delos, for ex.), I'm sure we will be fine.

Komotini, Greece
reviews: 45
10. Re: santorini

Ancient Thira IS worth the visit and is a wonderful archaeological site, though of a much later time period - and you can still visit the excellent Museum of Prehistorica Thira which is basically the Akrotiri Archaeological Museum, located in Fira. This isn't exactly a substitute for the site itself, but it is as good as you can get right now and should not be missed! :)

Reply to: santorini
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted