We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Sri Lanka

Which Beruwala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grimsby, United...
reviews: 9
1st time to Sri Lanka

Hi,

My hubby and i are looking at visiting April/May time.

we are not sure which is the best area to go to. also is the time ok to visit?

We ,love the beach and travelling around seeing sights, also boat trips and scuba diving any suggestions would be gratefully recieved we have a good budget as regards the hotels but dont mind a bargain!!! Thankyou Lisa

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

Hi Lisa,

The weather in April is usually sunny and mostly dry. The inter monsoon usually starts at the end of April or beginning of May with more unsettled weather. Inter monsoon showers are mostly short and hefty and are mostly in the late afternoons/evenings. A totally overcast day can occur, but most days the mornings are bright and sunny. On average it rains 2 days out of 3 in May.

Beach, boat trips and scuba diving are available in Bentota/Beruwala area. Trips to the sights in the inland have to be done as overnight trips as distances are far and driving in Sri Lanka is slow.

Hans

Grimsby, United...
reviews: 9
2. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

Thankyou Hans,

Can you recommend any good hotels? xx

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
3. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

You can check reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g499084-Beruwela-Ho…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g297895-Bentota_Gal…

Hans

Congleton, United...
reviews: 5
4. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

Hi Lisa,

My boyfriend and i are also looking to go to Sri Lanka late Feb time but we are not sure what board to go in the hotels. We usually do All Inclusive as we find it so much cheaper in the long run but not sure on a place like this as theres so much to explore.

Can anyone recommend any trips and lovely/safe hotels on the west side of Sri Lanka as i hear thats the best.

Thank you for any help. Jo

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
5. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

Hi Jo,

In February the west and south coasts are best weather wise. The east coast weather will be a bit unsettled and the infrastructure there need a lot of development.

In areas like Negombo, Beruwala, Bentota and Hikkaduwa I would only recommend AI if you are "heavy" drinkers ad there are plenty of good and cheap restaurants in these places.

AI is worth considering in Waikkal, Wadduwa and Kalutara as only few restaurants outside the hotels in these areas.

Indicating your budget/hotel preference/interests will make it easier to advise you on specific hotels.

Hans

St Austell
reviews: 26
6. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

Hi Jo

I agree with Hans. Bear in mind, if you are on All Inclusive you will be less inclined to explore Sri Lanka's heartland where most of the interesting sights are to be found and often need an overnight stay to see them. Are you looking for more of a beach based and relaxing stay, or a chance to see the attractions of the country?

Eating out in Sri Lanka is very good value; particularly so if you try some of the local restaurants and even the tourist ones are reasonable, compared to prices here in the UK. We had AI for the last 4 nights of our very first trip to Sri Lanka and paid through the nose for it, but we are not big drinkers and felt we were paying for those who were. These days we stick with B & B, even if we end up eating our dinner in the hotel in the end. At least that gives us the choice, and also whether to go for the a la carte as and when we choose to eat, rather than often being stuck with the HB buffet at regular times. We would never want to be around the hotel during the middle of the day just to get our lunch when we could be out exploring instead.

Sue

7. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 03, 2010
Congleton, United...
reviews: 5
8. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

Hey thanks all for your prompt replies!

We are looking for a romantic beach based holiday but with some sight seeing thrown in. We usually go min of 4* AI but obviously this wont be the case here as we want to explore a bit and i think this could tie you to the hotel as you said.

We are both in our mid 30s and have a budget of 1,000pounds each for 10 or 14 nights. Iv had a look on Firstchoice and Hays&Jarvis but they dont give a lot of options about trips or how much a typical 3 course dinner would be with beer or wine.

Thanks again for all help!

Jo

St Austell
reviews: 26
9. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

Hi Jo

You could take a look at Red Dot Tours and have a beach based holiday with a bit of touring added to suit you. They offer a lot of different packages or you can play around with them and select your own hotels. You could then stay in places with the standard that you require and be touring the sights at the same time. Maybe some of the smaller boutique hotels might be what you are looking for?

Red Dot Tours is well priced for what they do and offer complete flexibility too, whether you want them to book flights, hotels, transfers, the lot ... or simply want just a few hotel bookings made for you. At the very least, take a look at their website because there's such a huge range of hotels and locations on offer and it might give you a few ideas.

http://www.reddottours.com/

Sue

Znojmo, Czech...
reviews: 24
10. Re: 1st time to Sri Lanka

i would recommend that you book flight only and take a driver reccomendation from here and take an inland tour if you are interested in elephants ,history ,buddhist culture ,temples ,scenery etc then finish up on a beach maybe hikkaduwa for some snorkelling maybe some body boarding..

hikkaduwa doesnt have much in the way of 4 star hotels but still has some nice comfortable places with A/C,swimming pools etc.

again would not recommend AI as food is cheap

Get answers to your questions about Beruwala
Recent Conversations