We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Sri Lanka to India...

Which Beruwala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Travelling from Sri Lanka to India...

I am going to Sri Lanka in a few weeks time for a friend of mine's wedding and we are staying at a hotel in Beruwela for 2 weeks. I am keen to travel over to India for a day or two - we're so close, it seems silly not to and i want to get a tiny taster of India as i am planning a trip around the world next year and it could be a place i decide to go and stay on my travels.

A concern of mine is having to travel to North Sri Lanka because of the bombing that is going on there at the moment.

Taking this into account - Could anybody please give me any advice on transport, accommodation, where to go (closest part of India to Sri Lanka as possible) food, past experiences, recommendations, anything really would be a great help!!

Thanks very much!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
1. Re: Travelling from Sri Lanka to India...

Hi there,

No boats at all so no need to go to North Lanka. Only option is flying - e.g. to Chennai or Trivandrum or Trichy, all within 90-120 mins flight.

Take care of the visa for India - can be a painful long wait in queues in Colombo, maybe better already arrange from the UK but then you already need the tickets.

Flights are done by Srilankan air (most choice), Indian Airlines, Jet airways and Air Sahara (these three only Chennai).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bristol
2. Re: Travelling from Sri Lanka to India...

Thank you for all of your advice, I have done some research and everything just seems against my favour really. Flights were coming up as no less than £100, my hotel is 3 hours drive from Colombo airport and for just one nights stay, which is the longest i would really be able to stay, it just doesn't seem worth it. Think i may just leave it for another time when i will have longer to explore!!

Thanks again!

Sarah

3. Re: Travelling from Sri Lanka to India...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 12, 2009