We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessibility of East Coast of Waya from Octopus Resort

Australia
reviews: 8
Accessibility of East Coast of Waya from Octopus Resort

Hi,

I'm just looking at a google map of Waya Island and I see that Octopus Resort is sitting in a nice position at the NW tip of the island. I am a keen photographer and enjoy some lovely cliche sunset photos when on holidays, which looks well accommodated from Octopus Resort, but I actually prefer getting up early for the nice quiet sunrises. For this I need good East facing locations and I see that it is only 500m to get from Octopus Resort over to the other side of the island at that particular "bottleneck" location on the NW tip.

My question is, how easy is it to get from Octopus Resort across to the other side of the island on that tip? Is it an easy walking track done in a few minutes flat. Is it mountainous? Is there any track at all? Is it just jungle? If anyone could let me know the situation that'd be most appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Geoff

2 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
reviews: 24
1. Re: Accessibility of East Coast of Waya from Octopus Resort

No easy walking track. There is a path that goes over the hill to the village of Nalauwaki - concreted steps up the hill and you might get some shots from the top of that (where the helicopter lands). Ask the staff if they could show you where to go from there along the ridge above the resort, not a marked path. Not easy terrain, high hill with rocky outcrops, they tend to discourage guests from going off on their own in case of injury, but I'm sure you will find someone to show you the way. If you were to follow the (dirt) path from the top of the concrete steps you will be going down to the village, and there is another hill which blocks the sunrise.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
reviews: 92
2. Re: Accessibility of East Coast of Waya from Octopus Resort

Waya is a very interesting island to explore, with a river high up, swimming holes and beautiful waterfall on the eastern side, you would probably need a boat to get around to the other side./

Reply to: Accessibility of East Coast of Waya from Octopus Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted