We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travellers cheques

Which Castara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxfordshire
reviews: 13
travellers cheques

why was my $500 travellers cheque refused to be cashed by the bank of Republic in Scarborough Tobago

12 replies to this topic
1. Re: travellers cheques

Hi there, that sounds rather strange... Did you have ID with you? What reason did they give?

Cheers,

Steve.

Oxfordshire
2. Re: travellers cheques

We gave the cheque to our owner of the apartment we are staying in for payment. She presented it to the bank and they refused it saying that it was no longer legal tender in Tobago. It was bought from Barclays Bank England.

3. Re: travellers cheques

Hi there, that sounds rather strange... Did you have ID with you? What reason did they give?

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi again, would you mind telling me who that was?

Cheers,

Steve.

Oxfordshire
4. Re: travellers cheques

Bank Republic Scarborough Tobago

5. Re: travellers cheques

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi again, would you mind telling me who that was?

Cheers,

Steve.

No, I meant which apartment are you staying at & which manager?

6. Re: travellers cheques

Once again, it is my best information that all properly accredited travellers cheques are valid in Tobago. Maybe you should go to the bank yourself next time.

Trinidad
reviews: 79
7. Re: travellers cheques

Not to sound to suspicious of the apartment owner but maybe she didn't go to the Bank.

Republic offers VISA and American Express Travellers Cheques. So they issue something tht is no longer legal tender in Tobago?

Or is it an issue with Barclays Bank England?

Email: email@republictt.com

London, United...
reviews: 18
8. Re: travellers cheques

We cashed travellers cheques without any problem when we were there in December at First Citizens Bank in Roxborough so it does seem a bit strange?

Edited: 12:54 pm, February 14, 2013
trinidad
reviews: 4
9. Re: travellers cheques

maybe she wanted cash immediately. All Travellers are legal tender and all banks say take Travellers Cheques, they are safer than having cash. Recently all banks were competing on selling TRAVELLERS Cheques to people going overseas. so it should work both ways.

Trinidad
reviews: 16
10. Re: travellers cheques

I agree with both Poisonarrowz and SteveMeeus

Edited: 3:21 pm, February 16, 2013
Reply to: travellers cheques
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castara
Recent Conversations
More Castara Topics