We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sossusvlei to Cape Town

Which Sossusvlei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sossusvlei to Cape Town

Looking at flying to Windhoek, driving to Sossusvlei, then meandering down the coast to Cape Town...

We have about 7-8 maybe 10 days...

Should we take more time?

Suggestions?

4 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 60
1. Re: Sossusvlei to Cape Town

We are just back from a big driving trip and part of this involved driving from Cape Town through Namibia, (we went Cape Town-Lamberts Bay-Springbok-Fish River Canyon-Sossusvlei-Swakopmund and onward). I wouldn't do your proposed trip in 7-8 days only. You will presumably overnight in Windhoek before starting your travels, then perhaps 2 nights in Sossusvlei, then a night or 2 somewhere along the way to the border (it's almost 700km from sossusvlei to the border), then at least 2 nights (At least!) on the way down to cape town. There will still be some long drives involved and the main route down is the B1 (Namibia)/N7 (South Africa) which is a way from the coast. Perhaps if you provide some more information about the rest of the trip you are taking and what you want to get out of the trip? We can then give some more advice, for instance if it's just about getting from A to B then by all means you could probably drive it in about 3 days! But you mention meandering so I think you want more than just spending days in a car!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
2. Re: Sossusvlei to Cape Town

One way car rentals across borders can be very expensive.

Honolulu, Hawaii
3. Re: Sossusvlei to Cape Town

We were looking at renting a caravan.

Driving from Windhoek to Sossusvlei then to Fish River Canyon and then to the Orange River.

At that point, we were going to eventually arrive in Clanwilliam then would go along the coast via the West Coast National Park.

ALTERNTIVELY, we were thinking of an entirety different route wherein would travel from Cape Town then up to the Orange River then to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and eventually to Johannesburg...

I know these are two different itineraries.

Was trying to travel the road less travelled...

Honolulu, Hawaii
4. Re: Sossusvlei to Cape Town

We were looking at renting a caravan.

Driving from Windhoek to Sossusvlei then to Fish River Canyon and then to the Orange River.

At that point, we were going to eventually arrive in Clanwilliam then would go along the coast via the West Coast National Park.

ALTERNTIVELY, we were thinking of an entirety different route wherein would travel from Cape Town then up to the Orange River then to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and eventually to Johannesburg...

I know these are two different itineraries.

Was trying to travel the road less travelled...

Reply to: Sossusvlei to Cape Town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted