We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Africa Travel

Which Sossusvlei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Menifee, California
reviews: 3
Africa Travel

We will be traveling to Mobasa in late August and do a 3 day safari in West & East Tsavo. In doing my research I am not sure whether to pretreat my clothing with permethrin or not; I am a magnet to mosquitos. Any suggetions?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
1. Re: Africa Travel

You might get a better response if you post this question in the Kenya forum, or maybe someone on this forum that has been to Kenya might be able to help.

Washington DC...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Africa Travel

I don't believe it's necessary to pretreat clothing with permethrin. Regular attire, especially long pants and long sleeves in the evening hours when mosquitoes are most apt to be out hunting, with repellent on exposed skin (particularly around ankles), should be sufficient.

Many repellents contain DEET, which can be of concern toxicologically. A product with an active ingredient with a lower toxicity profile is Repel HG-406T Lemon Eucalyptus 4-Ounce Insect Repellent Pump Spray. This product can be purchased at Amazon and it is as effective as those products containing DEET. You don't need to be dousing yourself with repellent all day---just after dusk and before dawn.

Menifee, California
reviews: 3
3. Re: Africa Travel

Thank you so much for the helpful advice, greatly appreciated.

4. Re: Africa Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 30, 2013