We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verandah with teens?

Which Saint Philip hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 5
Verandah with teens?

I am really torn trying to find the right resort in Antigua for spring break with my daughter (who will be just turning 17). I'm leaning toward the Verandah, which has much better reviews than Jolly Beach and looks a bit more upscale. Anyone else been there with teens during spring break? Enough for them to do? Thanks!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
reviews: 79
1. Re: Verandah with teens?

Verandah is definitely more "upscale" than Jolly Beach. That being said, it's not a particularly upscale resort.

For your case though, I don't think it's about the reviews. Verandah is in an area of the island that has pretty much nothing going on. There are two all-inclusive resorts that don't seem to integrate their offerings (Verandah and Pineapple) and two beach-bars that close at 6:00.

Jolly Beach has much more going on. Lots of restaurants, lots of bars (I know bars aren't on you list of things to do) but just a lot more stuff going on.

For example, Verandah has just two small man-made beaches, whereas Jolly has a very long beach which is lovely to walk. That in and of itself would give your daughter more to do.

New York City, New...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Verandah with teens?

If the reviews on Jolly Beach's rooms weren't so negative, I would consider it. But the reviews, coupled with the photos, tell me that I would not be as happy there as I could be at other places...

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
3. Re: Verandah with teens?

I'm wondering if you've considered some place near Dickenson Bay, such as Buccaneer Beach Club. These are spacious (and relatively new) suites in a fairly quiet area but within walking distance (5-10 minutes) of things for the teenager to do. Siboney Beach in the same area is also a possibility.

Coco's Resort is also near Jolly Beach so you could have Jolly's things-to-do without dealing with their rooms.

I am sitting here looking at Verandah Resort at this moment and other than the fact that they are blasting music, it's been very quiet over there people-wise. It makes me wonder how well the resort is doing, because there have been so few people on their man-made beaches during the day.

Edited: 12:42 am, February 02, 2012
London, United...
4. Re: Verandah with teens?

cessnapilot

You seem very anti The Verandah...can it be a case of nimby?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 65
5. Re: Verandah with teens?

Ellenami, you might consider using the difference in price between the two resorts to go for an upgraded room option at Jolly Beach. There is a huge difference in the amount there is available to do, not just at the resort, but also in the immediate surrounding area. It's a much better spot for what I think you'd be looking for.

The negative reviews you'll have seen will be about the supersaver room category - and yes, they are small and pretty basic. However, the higher categories of room are a very different story, particularly those that have been most recently refurbished.

Alternatively, and since AI drinking isn't a big priority for you, consider either (as suggested) Buccaneer Beach Club over at Dickenson, or a condo at Tranquility Bay (which gives you access to all Jolly Beach's facilities, pools etc) or a villa at Jolly Harbour - which give you a full two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, diner, living room, and waterfront patio for less than the price of a single hotel room.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
6. Re: Verandah with teens?

Rumjumby, I occasionally recommend Verandah when it seems to fit a questioner's needs. In this case it does not fit, as there is nothing going on for teens, not only at Verandah but at all on this end of the island.

I've made no secret of the fact I dislike Verandah, largely due to its negative environmental impact. When I have previously reported that the developer was fined by the government for this, I was quoting articles in the two local newspapers as well as a popular news-radio station. Verandah is what it is, but an "eco" resort it is not, and that is what troubles me and should be troubling to those who care about such things.

Verandah is a great resort for some travelers, but I really wouldn't recommend it for a person traveling with a 17-year-old due to the lack of relevant activities. Please note I am not the only poster who shares this opinion.

Edited: 11:27 pm, February 02, 2012
London, United...
7. Re: Verandah with teens?

cessnapilot

You can fool off some of the people some of the time.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 18
8. Re: Verandah with teens?

I am currently at the Verandah. The hotel is pretty well filled up. Lots of stuff to do for the teenagers, especially at the main beach. Hobies, kayaks, snorkeling equipment, paddle boats, various floating devices. Sailing lessons available. Scheduled activities such as beach soccer, beach cricket, beach volleyball. Table tennis, shuffle board and billiards. Brand new mini golf. There are also two tennis courts and you can borrow equipment. Every day different activities are scheduled. There's the kids club, a separate area for teenagers to hang out. However, I haven't seen many teenagers here, mainly young families, couples and older adults.

9. Re: Verandah with teens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 pm, February 15, 2012
Edited: 11:05 pm, February 15, 2012
London, United...
10. Re: Verandah with teens?

cessnapilot

I blocked your private messages because you threatened me with 'American/Brithish' lawyers whilst claiming that I was connected to the Verandah. I joined this forum because I am visiting The Verandah this year and I was interested why you were always talking that hotel down. I also told you that Trip Advisor can check my IP address. I cannot believe that you are doing this to me. I am not sure how all this works but I am sure that it is not right for you to attack me on a public forum. If anyone is out there who has influence on Trip advisor then please ask them to check me out, this may stop this person