We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

Which Saint Philip hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 78
I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

IT IS THE CARIBBEAN!!!! And so the only way I can understand people complaining about CATS AND BIRDS in the CARIBBEAN is that they have only visited those big huge Spanish industrial size "resorts" that are cheap prices and make you feel like a celebrity...but are completely enclosed at meal time....but then dont whine and complain about aspects of the CARIBBEAN when you are in a real CARIBBEAN resort...!!!!!

I know in the end the GPB will do fine...and hopefully people who are used to authentic (oh YES I SAID IT) Caribbean experiences will read between these lines...but the cats do NOT crawl all over you at GPB and the birds can be a touch intrusive...but everyone sort of looked out for each others stuff...and if someone was willing to stay at the table then no problem....but then at home in January or February or March I WOULD Be locked up tight in a heated restaurant so feeling the breeze on my skin, the smell of the ocean and the birds singing makes me happy and I can't believe HOW MANY people complain about these things like the resort can do a DARN THING ABOUT BIRDS AND CATS!!!!

It helped a little to complain - let the anger of others decend on me...but I can take it....I think.

MILTON KEYNES
reviews: 12
1. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

Hi there again., Absolutely agree with you on this....Everyone is aware of the birds and cats....we loved them and we have some great photos. Thanks for your advice before we went...see my review...we got an upgrade to Block 100's and it was bliss. One place my hubby has said that he would go back to....so it must be good as we both loved it.. Must admit I had to bite my lip sometimes when people were talking to me moaning about it....each to his/her own eh!!!!

Cheers

Rita

Bonaire
reviews: 137
2. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

wouldn't be nice if repeat guests set up a fun to sterilize the cats?? Or maybe they did already..I love cats but was disturbed to see so many at Blue Waters once long ago...about 6 years ago...

St. Louis, MO USA
reviews: 1
3. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

I agree with you caribheart, Grand pineapple is a great place, a few cats and birds actually made our vacation better, we enjoyed the antics of them. If you don't pay attention to the cats they will ignore you. in my review of the resort I too complained about the people who wrote negitive reviews. If a few birds and cats bother you .... stay home.

Toronto
4. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

Ok an excessive number of cats would be disturbing...but an excessive number of anything IS....in my memory of GPB there were three or four cats at one time spread across the resort...in fact my two boys were doing anything they could to try and lure the cats....but they weren't responsive...

Amazingly I actually saw a woman and man using their cutlery (forks) to stab randomly at the cats as they came close....imagine!! What on earth if they had made contact with these poor cats...and my children had witnessed the cat stabbing!?!??! Ahh I find people so strange but the fact that they get on and condemn a resort for creatures of nature...thanks for letting me vent.

norfolk
reviews: 3
5. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

I to agree with Caribheart, if people are so obssessed with a few cats and birds they really should stay at home. When in another country accept and stop complaining or dont chose open plan hotels.

We stayed in Turkey last year and there were dogs as well appearing and some people got really annoyed but as previously said it would be impossible to keep them out completely.

Ottawa, Canada
6. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

I'm with you 100% Caribheat! We just got back from 2 fabulous weeks and the GPB and had a great time. And you're right - I don't think I ever saw more than a few cats lurking at dinner, and even at that, they weren't bothersome. They mostly tucked themselves in close to the chair of whichever tourist happened to be feeding them that night and waited for their feast....

Birds: sure, theyre were lots, but I can't imagine not being able to look past it! The hotel staff do their best to keep the birds off the food/drinks and as a guest you look out for yourself and cover your food if your're leaving the table, etc.

Thanks for this post. It had to be said!

P.S. For what it's worth to those who think these issues are strictly GPB related, we spent a bit of time at the upscale Sandals and at a number other independent restaurants on the island and they all have birds and cats!

Edited: 6:55 am, March 03, 2011
new jersey
reviews: 2
7. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

I agree also...this is the Caribbean people..thats why we are going back to Antigua for our third time. I want my kids to experience the REAL CARIBBEAN

Southampton, United...
8. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

Just read this thread and completely agree, it is after all the Caribbean, I cannot imagine staying somewhere and eating indoors, so it stands to reason if you are eating outside the birds and any cats roaming around will join you. We stayed in Barbados and the birds were our constant companions at breakfast and lunchtime, it was lovely.

Toronto
9. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

Right? If nothing else - when travelling with children cats and birds are a blessing....read distraction from madness!

I think I increasingly realize when people review these places they should be clear about what their expectations and hopes had been prior....or what they are going to hate anywhere...as I recently returned from a place that was reviewed very very highly....I thought ....menh. My expectations did not match those of the expectations of the reviewers....I love birds, cats....I love outdoors Caribbean dining...so I live it up at GPB and I hope you do too!

Leicestershire
reviews: 49
10. Re: I have to complain because I don't know where else to say it

I think people have over reacted to the animal at mealtime thing. Its really not that big a deal surely!

If this is bad then our local foodie pub must be a nightmare. There are a couple of cats and they meow to be let in the restaurant and if not then they jump throught the window! If they smell you have a steak well you have a compnaion right next to you! Most people seem to love the cats prancing around. Me personally if provides some mild entertainment but certainly don't get upset about it. Thats in England so in a warm open plan hotel seriously what do you expect?!

Some people are actually impossible to please. I feel reviews are soooo valuable to a traveller but you really do have to keep a open mind because as we know everyone is different.....

Cheers

Kir321