We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a budget

Which Oistins hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
reviews: 20
On a budget

Hi, me and hubby have always wanted to visit Barbados and are looking to book Butterfly Beach hotel as the reviews look ok and most of all the cost. We have always been put off Barbados due to the cost as its very expensive to visit here and we do always go AI on our other holidays but we have seen a offer to this hotel in May that is to good to miss out on but we are worried about how much eating and drinking will cost. Me and hubby like to have a few drinks during day and night, beer for hubby and wine for me, after working out our budget would £100 a day do the both of us ? We dont mind not eating in fancy restaurants and am willing to go supermarket to pick up some bits for breakfast. Also how much does it cost for taxi/bus transfer from airport to hotel ? Thanks

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 189
1. Re: On a budget

durie

Most definitely £100 will be fine a day. I normally eecommend one budget's approximately $350 BBD / $175 USD a day for the two so that's £58 / $88 USD per person roughly per day. This would cover breakfast, lunch and dinner and drinks....slighty over £100, but not too much.

You'll be able to get your bits for breakfast at Super Centre Oistins. These prices will also be of great help to you.

In most bars you can purchase a beer for anywhere between $3-$7 depending on the location.

Sodas / Juice = $2.50 to $4

Rum + Coke $8

Tea/Coffee $6 and up

Most cocktails $12-$20 depending on the location.

Glass of Wine = $12 to $24 depending on the location

Glass of Champagne = $30-$35

Bottle of wine = $60+

Bottle of Champagne = $120+

Food ---

Starters $18-$38 depending on restaurant

Mains $45 to $95 generally, depending upon restaurant and what you order. Items such as platters for two can run up to $140

Desserts $15 to $25 depending upon restaurant and what you order

Fast Food

$15 can get you two pieces of chicken, fries, biscuit and a drink from Chefette or KFC.

$12.99 can get you a value meal from KFC (sandwich and fries or chicken strips and fries or three wings and fries etc)

$33 can get you a whole pizza

Rotis range from $6.75 to $10.25

Casual Dining

Flying Fish Sandwich with Fries = $21

Burgers = $26-$32

Ribs Platter = $40

Chicken Platter = $32.95

Groceries

Loaf of Bread = $4.35

Block of Cheddar (250g) = $6.89

Dozen Eggs = $8.29

1 Litre of 2% Milk = $5.89

1 Litre of Juice = $5.29

Sliced Ham = $5.25

Bacon = $8

Bananas = About $0.70 each

Oranges = Jamaican about $0.75 each, Florida/California about $1.20 each

English / Granny Smith Apples = About $1.20 each

Strawberries = $18 a crate

All Prices BBD, divide by 2 for the US, divide by 3 for £

You can easily get a taxi right outside the arrivals hall upon exiting. Just speak to the dispatcher and he will arrange a taxi for you. Registered taxis of all types will be there. The fare to Butterfly Beach will be $31 BBD, however, should you require a van due to excess luggage, the fare will be 1.5 times the cost = $47 BBD. Do ensure you are quoted either BBD or USD and that the price is given before you leave. 1 USD = 2 BBD

Also note, make sure you speak to an Official GAIA Inc Taxi Dispatcher....they will be wearing uniform and ID. These are the only persons who should be arranging journeys for arriving passengers via the several Authorised Airport Taxis. There are a few unscrupulous individuals called "snatchers" who like to lure visitors across the car park to their taxis and charge them higher rates and additional fees for air conditioning etc. Please take note of this.

Have a great time in Barbados!

Regards

Oakville, Canada
reviews: 12
2. Re: On a budget

Here are links to some restaurants.

http://www.chefette.com/menu

http://www.justgrillinbarbados.com/

http://www.cafesolbarbados.com/

http://www.bertsbarbados.com/

Chatham, United...
reviews: 11
3. Re: On a budget

We are going to Butterfly in 11 days, our first visit to Barbados. We intend to shop for breakfast and some lunches to keep cost down and also buy some beer etc for the room. I am taking a few essentials with us too like tea bags, sweetners etc. We are aiming on £100 per day between the both of us, some days we will spend more than others so hopefully it will balance itself out. Will write a report when we return/

liverpool
reviews: 20
4. Re: On a budget

BGI you have been a huge help and thanks for everyones else's advice, think its time for me to book . One last question is May a nice time to visit ?

Derbyshire, United...
reviews: 19
5. Re: On a budget

May is a lovely time to visit. It is out of the main cruise season so you will find beaches that cruise passengers are usually taken to much quieter. We have always had great weather too in May, enjoy!

Exmouth, United...
reviews: 14
6. Re: On a budget

You will be fine with £100 a day. You can get gorgeous food for lunch from the vans that are all over the place and it is really cheap. Also some of the supermarkets have deli counters which are also good and reasonably priced. Buy some beer from the supermarket and if you like rum that is cheaper than wine!

Some things in the supermarket are more expensive than at home. We always take tea, coffee and a box of breakfast cereal with us.

The buses are really cheap and plentiful so getting around is easy.

We always go in May and the weather is lovely.

I am sure you will have a lovely holiday.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 189
7. Re: On a budget

durie

You're welcome. You will love Barbados in May! One of the cheapest times of the year to visit, no school kids around. Just peace and quiet. Remember, the BA World Sale fare of £493.61 is only available until Jan 22nd.

Regards

Hessle
reviews: 9
8. Re: On a budget

Thanks people you've made my mind up, I'm booking for end May/June, big thanks to BGI World Traveller and Chrisky for price guides. Look forward to joining the roll call once I've decided where to stay.

Montreal QC
reviews: 13
9. Re: On a budget

Yeah £100 will definitely be enough. I think there are even deals where you can get 6 beers for very cheap as I recall. As long as you do a little research you'll find plenty of good places to eat too.

I went in May in 2012 and it was amazing in Barbados.

Iroquois, Canada
reviews: 55
10. Re: On a budget

Yeah we try to keep it below $100 US/Canadian a day and do it, so I don't think you will :)