We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

Which Saint Peter Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
abilene, tx
reviews: 15
Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

We are planning a first time trip to Barbados and are looking to stay in St Peter at the Sugar Cane Club. My husband is going to take a Wreck Dive Course and this location seems to be closest to where the dive operation is located.

Is it a long drive from the airport to St Peter and is a taxi the best method to get there?

My husband is wanting to rent a car but since our flight doesn't get in till after 9PM...I thought it best to get the car the next day. I'm also not sure if the Sugar Cane Club has available parking for rent cars. I thougth we could check on this once we got there.

What about the white vans that I have read about? Are they only in Bridgetown or is this method of transportation available all over the island.

Any help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura

Boston, Ma.
1. Re: Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

I would check with the rental car companies and ask if you can pick up the car when your flight arrives. They might be open, but maybe not.

If you don't have the rental car, I recommend that you take a taxi from the airport due to the amount of luggage you will have.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 93
2. Re: Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

Unless you are comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road at night get your rental car the next day and have them deliver it to Sugar Cane Club.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
3. Re: Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

I agree with Nevera. Driving on the opposite side of the road at night is stressful after a flight -- and the road signs in Barbados are not the best. I have been to Sugar Cane Club in daylight and it wasn't well marked as to where to turn from the main roads.

It is very easy to have the rental car delivered to you the next morning. There will be taxis waiting at the Arrivals area at the airport -- I think that's the only way to go after 9 PM to St Peter if you don't know your way around the island.

Have fun!

Barbados
reviews: 6
4. Re: Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

The drive from airport to St Peter will be about 30 - 40 minutes depending on traffic, if you are unfamiliar with the roads and are driving then allow for that. Personally I would take a taxi (why don't you check with the Sugar Caen Club to see if they offer a taxi service. The white vans are what we call 'ZR vans' and from Sugar Cane Club it might not be the best method of transport. They definitely have car park space and a car would be highly recommended.

South Yorkshire...
reviews: 33
5. Re: Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

Why not contact SCC and ask them to book a taxi for you to pick you up from the airport ? They are the most helpful people you could wish to meet. It takes about 45 minutes depending on traffic from the airport to hotel. No problem with parking at the hotel, it has a decent sized car park. If you stay at the SCC you can get their free shuttle bus into Speightstown and from there you have a choice of buses, taxis etc. to get you all over the island.

South Yorkshire...
reviews: 33
6. Re: Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

Oops 'solucky' great minds think alike .....!!!!

7. Re: Transportation and Getting Around in Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, June 30, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Saint Peter Parish