We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

Which Taroudant hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 12
Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

We are thinking of buying our Christmas presents from Taroudannt in a couple of weeks time (yes, feel very sorry for our friends and relatives). Does anyone know which currency is better to have, Euro's or Dirhams, for the local stall holders?

8 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

Dirhams, without doubt. See "Banks & Money" on the general Morocco forum for additional advice.

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 3
2. Re: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

MAD's all the way. Always use the local currency.

A Moroccan would (eventually) accept any denomination of money, but anyone who receives your Euros will loose out when they have to change them back to their own currency, or you yourself will end up being ripped off by a cunning merchant who ads layers of complication to a purchase by confusing you with exchange rates and multi denomination change (as he would give MAD’s for change for a Euro transaction).

London
reviews: 12
3. Re: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

Thank you so much for this surprising information. In Indonesia the US$ gets you a far better price and is always prefered to the local currency; interesting that Morocco is so different.

Should we bring a debit card for the Bureau de Change at the airport or bring cash? We are staying in the middle of no-where and the B&B does not have a debit/credit machine.

York, United Kingdom
4. Re: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

I usually take a bit of cash with me (sterling) to change at a Bureau de Change, but I only do this if I can’t get to an ATM….which are more numerous in Morocco than where I live in the UK! I then stash the sterling in a secret place for any emergencies and just rely on ATM’s. Having a bit of emergency cash is probably more useful than a card as it can get immediate results in a sticky situation. Not many places (apart from big hotels and shops) have card readers so cash is always better.

5. Re: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:39 am, April 26, 2014

York, United Kingdom
6. Re: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

Always ATM's at the airports so no worries.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

I'm visiting Marrakech right now, my advice would be bring your cash from home and exchange at airport. Get as many small notes as you can. Big notes are a curse as u can't haggle and always pay too much for a taxi!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
8. Re: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD

Carrying the total amount of money that you need for a holiday in cash is not such a good idea, much better to withdraw cash, as you need it, from an ATM using a debit card. My bank charges £1.50 per transaction and the exchange rate is good.

Reply to: Outside hotel best currency? Euro or MAD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted