We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

Which Taroudant hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 11
February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

I'd like to hire a car to do mountain drive from Marrakech to Taroudant in the first week of February. Can anyone tell me whether this is feasible or the weather is likely to make the drive difficult or very dangerous?

Also, any suggestions about hiring a car/driver would be welcome too.

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 2
1. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

if you will drive from tizi ntast the drive will be amazing , there is nothing dangerious really .

hiring a car with a drive will cost you 1900 DHS / day

best regards

Anna

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
2. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

Crossing the Test pass is a wonderful experience provided you're OK with mountain roads. It's not at all dangerous, as indicated by the number of French motorhomes that come that route in winter. Sometimes there can be snow but you would be warned of this a long way off and the snow barriers would be down.

Some pics: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Pigeon Forge...
3. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

tizi ntast is amazing really , calm , no cars (only few) , the nature is really something i can't explain to you , its snowing time to time , but that will be never a problem .

College Park...
reviews: 3
4. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

This is very helpful,thank you. We'll be doing this trip in December, and also thought we'd hire a driver for the trip across the mountains, mostly because we wanted to enjoy the scenery and not worry about 4 hours of hairpin turns, but are then staying outside Taroudant, where we will need a car. It doesn't seem to be possible to find one there, we'd have to go to Agadir to pick one up, which is a pain, so we may rethink and drive ourselves. Anyway, wanted to thank you all for these posts.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
5. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

If you have a driving license you can drive self, rent a car and it will cost you around 300DH per day. Have a good guide book and map and it is enough, the road is not dangerous at all. You can enjoy your driving even alone, maybe more I would suppose than to sit with one stranger.

Edited: 2:47 pm, November 03, 2012
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
6. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

+1 for khamlia's comments. If you are not used to mountain roads you might be nervous at first but you are driving on the right hand side of the road and most of the steep sections are on the other side of the road.

I did it first in the 1970s when it was just a dirt track. And yes, that was harder!

College Park...
reviews: 3
7. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

You are all so kind to offer your experiences. There will be three of us, two of us driving, so we will be able to trade off, (and stop for photo ops!) so I feel much encouraged--and being Americans, from the land that has pretty much abandoned stick shifts, we'll need automatic transmission so that will save the knees! Fingers crossed for a mild Christmas day, so the road is open, otherwise we'll have to go the less scenic route.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
8. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

You can learn you to drive with manual transmission - is it not time to lhave a new experience :) Enjoy.

Edited: 4:18 pm, November 03, 2012
St Peter Port...
9. Re: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant

All very helpful messages for me too- thanks. I'm driving over the pass in early November doing the same route as MKM549.

Reply to: February drive Marrakech to Taroudant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taroudant