We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Madeira on Friday

Which Calheta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodbridge, United...
reviews: 6
1st time to Madeira on Friday

Hi, we're staying in an apartment in Arco da Calheta for a week from Friday and hiring a car. Read recently about a big problem last year with mosquitos. Are they still a problem this year as they tend to like me?! We plan to do a bit of walking so any suggested favourite walks would be great. Also any good restaurants in the Calheta area? Thanks

Merseyside, United...
reviews: 9
1. Re: 1st time to Madeira on Friday

Would like an update on the mossy situation too, last I read there had been no reports but as the UK is heating up, is Madeira and are we seeing any?

London
reviews: 6
2. Re: 1st time to Madeira on Friday

The Engenho Velho restaurant (in Ledo, Arco da Calheta) is our favourite in Calheta. The beef medallions in Madeira Sauce and the grilled octopus are to die for. Convento Vinhas (near the Casa das Mudas) is very nice but a bit more expensive. The Rocha Mar (along the road from the beach hotel) is good for fish dishes and the outside restaurant at the beach hotel (Onda Azul) is consistently good.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 34
3. Re: 1st time to Madeira on Friday

The latest info re mozzys is that 2 people have the dengue BUT they came from Angola and were not infected in Madeira. I don't think it is hot enough yet, I haven't seen any plus there has been a concerted efffort by the councils to eradicate the 'dengue' mozzy. There will still be the other species which offers no desease risk, but again I haven't seen any of these yet. Any visitors should just bring an insect repellant and take sensible precautions, especially in forest areas .

4. Re: 1st time to Madeira on Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, July 27, 2014