We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Which Calheta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madeira, Portugal
reviews: 18
2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Fans and lovers of Calheta's white sand beaches both residents and travellers will be happy to hear that both the Free white beaches are now operational with services including the 2 beach bars/cafes one on each beach and sunbeds and umbrellas with a charge. The new one not at the Hotel end is now called 'Bar da praia da Calheta'. Parking is free after 7pm.

So, come over when you can for sunbathing and great sea swimming!

Madeira, Portugal
11. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Posts 8 & 9. No thanks for the defamatory statements that Calheta beaches are polluted including unreliable, uncorroborated reports from a year ago.

I started this post just to recommend to travellers and the many fans of the zone aware that there are 2 clean beaches and 2 cafes operating.

Here's the truth from the Portuguese Institute that measures the sea water quality :

I and many others swim at Calheta Beach every week for years and we measure water quality by what we actually experience and more importantly by the Test results of the Portuguese Institute that measures the sea water quality where people swim.

Machico fails and Calheta passes

In 2012 this Institute Reported and this was in the Madeira and national press too that the Machico Beach failed and it was not for the first time with traces of Cryptosporidium and Calheta passed. Calheta Beach was all clear. Machico Beach was actually closed in 2012 by the authorities for some days because it failed the test.

Everyone who loves sea swimming or just a dip in the ocean hopes that no location in Madeira fails these tests in Madeira ever again.

Bristol, United...
12. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

I can only report what I found to be the case in July last year - which is a truthful and unbiased account of my experience. I have visited Madeira for the past 20 years, have a house there and love the island but the point of a forum such as this is to provide other readers with knowledge that they can then make their own minds up about in respect of the various beaches etc on offer.

Madeira, Portugal
13. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

The whole objective of this post which I created was to communicate and recommend to travellers anybody who uses the zone and loves it is that the white beaches had been reopened and the cafe bar at the Town Hall end had re opened and for travellers to enjoy the facilities!

So, your post that the water of the swimming area a year ago was dirty again not supported by any serious evidence is irrelevant, negative and nasty. Look forward to better posts from you.

Bristol, United...
14. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Hardly irrelevant, but not going to get in a lengthy correspondence about it. MadeiraPaul you do need to realise that there are some slight negatives to any part of the world and Madeira is not exempt from this. It is for me one of the best locations in the world, but it is not perfect. My experience at Calheta last year was a negative for me, but if the concrete block and bricks etc, etc have been removed for this season then all well and good. Indeed, people need to visit and make up their own minds - everyone is entitled to an opinion after all. I am sure travellers will indeed enjoy the facilties that Calheta has to offer as those who visit Machico and other lovely parts of the island will no doubt do. Keep you hair on and go for a swim!

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 23
15. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Emily D I agree with what you say. no where is totally perfect but it is also important to give a true picture of what is around . I was critisised heavily a couple of years ago re mozzies in Madeira but it is much better for informtion be available even if we don't like it. There are many things wrong in Madeira at the moment but not of interest to visitors . I, like you, love the Island but we musn't see it through rose coloured glasses and pretend there is mothing bad. That's life. enjoy what there is.

16. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, May 16, 2013
Bristol, United...
17. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

I will take some photos next time if you like. I feel no need to apologise for something that I experienced and for what is a truthful account of my visit last July to the Calheta beach. One of the main issues with the water at this beach is that it is enclosed to a great extent, and whilst the water in the very middle benefits from the ebb and flow of the sea water coming in over the stone defences, those shallow area towards the sandy beach areas do not gain such a quantity of fresh water - hence the water quickly becomes stale. The beach furthest away from the hotel side was by far the worst of the two swimming areas - this is where the dead fish and other floating objects were located. We then moved to the other beach area but the objects under the water did not lead to a plesant experience. So please do not waste your time looking forward to an applogy as there will not be one forthcoming. I suggest that you chill out on the beach at Calheta if that's your choice - I will stick to the Barriennha in Funchal thanks..

Madeira, Portugal
18. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Emily D

thanks for admitting that you have no evidence of the water pollution 1 year ago. We'll take that as the closest you may get to apologising.

Your posts do not help travellers or anyone. They are just defaming the entire Calheta beach zone and again defaming the renovation, cleaning, servicing of the whole zone.

Facts and truth: the best evidence of pollution in bathing areas in the region are the test results of the Institute that tests the water standards in the whole region and Portugal mainland.

I will post the links to the test results of the Institute that tests the water standards in the whole region and Portugal mainland that Calheta passed the tests in 2012 and which beaches failed.

This is very valuable information not defamatory postings with no evidence. Again one beach had traces of Cryptosporidium and was closed last Summer for some days.

19. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, May 30, 2014