We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Which Calheta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madeira, Portugal
reviews: 18
2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Fans and lovers of Calheta's white sand beaches both residents and travellers will be happy to hear that both the Free white beaches are now operational with services including the 2 beach bars/cafes one on each beach and sunbeds and umbrellas with a charge. The new one not at the Hotel end is now called 'Bar da praia da Calheta'. Parking is free after 7pm.

So, come over when you can for sunbathing and great sea swimming!

Madeira, Portugal
reviews: 18
1. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Photo album of Calheta region from Madeira Tourism including:

-the 2 white sand beaches

-Mudas International Art Centre above the beaches and

-images of the coast and pedestrian areas around the marina where dolphin watching and fishing excursion boat operate from.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

liverpool
reviews: 12
2. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

How much can i expect to pay by taxi lido area to Calheta Beach ?

liverpool
reviews: 12
3. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

How much can we expect to pay by taxi , lido area to Calheta Beach ?

Edited: 7:50 am, May 14, 2013
madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 25
4. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

You will need good negotiating skills as a taxi will most likely cost upwards of €15 each way. You can get a Rodoeste bus from outside the Monumental Lido Hotel for about €3 each way, you should be able to get details from Tourist Information on the ground floor by the stairs in the shopping centre.

Bolton, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

What Number bus is it from o/s MLH to Calheta flowercity.Will have a look on my timetable.Fancy going there myself.When we were there in Oct with Chavesdouro they were at the early stages of building a new hotel(east side)Any news on the progress.

Rob

Wrexham, United...
reviews: 53
6. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Hi everyone - We went on the South West Tour today with Happy Tours .Excellent tour . Will send you all a report when we arrive home .

Just to say we ended up at Calheta which looked great but not somewhere I would want to stay at .

Rob = Yes they are constructing a anew hotel but nowhere near completion .

Will give you all a report soon .

madeira
Destination Expert
7. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Rob, according to the website nos, 80, 107,115 and 142 either pass through or go to Calheta. Don't forget that the times shown on the bus stop are when it leaves Funchal so be patient for it to arrive there.

Bristol, United...
8. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

I really hope something has been done about the water quality at the Calheta beach and also state of the ground under the actual bathing area water. I went there last year and despite the whole beach and water looking lovely, the actual bathing experience was the worst I have ever experienced. There were lots of dead fish in the water, panty liners floating on the surface of the water, and as you walked out in to the water there were large pieces of brick and concrete blocks - not a nice experience. On talking to some of our relatives on the island, they advised us that the water quality is very poor and that they do not go there as a result. It is a shame, as the actual concept of the beach and cafes etc is lovely and it is perfect for families to spend a day if only the sea water etc could be improved.

madeira
Destination Expert
9. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Machico has a lovely beach and some great restaurantsa as well plus a gastronomic festa in August - how many ecuses do you need ??? My grandson had a nasty jellyfish bite last year at Calheta

Bristol, United...
10. Re: 2 White Beaches & 2 Beach Bars again!

Machico gets a thumbs up from me too - a lovely part of the island, particulary if you are looking for a safe swimming place for young children.