We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temperature in early July

Which Muri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Water temperature in early July

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for sometime now and it is very informative. My family will be staying at Muri beach for the 1st two weeks in July. What is the water temperature likely to be and would we be best to bring wet suits with us? We are all keen on snorkeling and water sports and plan on spending lots of time in the water around Rarotonga.We are also taking a day trip to Aitutaki, is the water warmer there being north of Raotonga?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Edited: 1:35 am, June 14, 2013
7 replies to this topic
Arorangi
reviews: 33
1. Re: Water temperature in early July

If you intend to spend a lot of time in the water you should bring as heavy a wet suit as your baggage allocation allows. At the very least it will offer really good sun protection.

RBB

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
reviews: 29
2. Re: Water temperature in early July

The Aitutaki Lagoon is relatively shallow in most places so it warms up quickly. The water temp will still be warm enough to be comfortable after a minute of adjustment. The locals, however, will not go in and will tell the tourists not to go in because you will get hypothermia :-)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands
reviews: 101
3. Re: Water temperature in early July

Kia Orana 1stbigtrip, welcome to the forum.

Until now, lagoon temps have been remarkably warm. We''ve had an amazing run of fine weather - until yesterday when heavy rain arrived on Rarotonga. Water temps will likely cool down as fresh water enters the lagoon from streams. But also our air temps may begin to cool off also. Raro has been consistently 28C for some time.

Recently on the Rarotonga forum there was a post regarding wet-suits, and lagoon snorkelling on both Rarotonga and Aitutaki. The advice given by a professional diver (based on Rarotonga) was to bring a semi - lightweight wetsuit for our conditions.

Aitutaki being situated north of Rarotonga, does experience a warmer year-round climate. Let's hope the day you choose for your day-trip is as good as nature will provide. Certainly the lagoon area around that island is amazing, with some good spots for snorkelling and swimming.

Kia manuia.

new zealand
reviews: 11
4. Re: Water temperature in early July

I'm surprised to hear wet suits are needed at all in the lagoon. We ended up just wearing a rash vest to stop the sun burn. The water temp (according to the local dive instructors) is about 28-30 degrees most of the year in the lagoon. I certainly would'nt take a 5mm or 7mm wet suit over there.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
reviews: 29
5. Re: Water temperature in early July

You have to realize that the locals literally put on ski jackets if the air temperature drops below 20C. It's all relative and based on what you are used to.

Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Water temperature in early July

Thank you to all for your replies. Based on this I am going to pack the wetsuits and then we have the option to use them if we want to. I would rather we had our own which we know fit well too.

Thanks again.

LA County
reviews: 6
7. Re: Water temperature in early July

There is a website (surf-forecast.com) that lists current water temps around Rarotonga.

It's kind of a cool site and worth looking at!

Reply to: Water temperature in early July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted