We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dirty and disappointing

Durham, United...
reviews: 27
Dirty and disappointing

We were really disappointed by our trip to Villefranche de Confluent today. The public toilets were disgusting, the streets covered in dog's mess and the church which we had come to see closed. I couldn't recommend a visit here.

8 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Dirty and disappointing

Compared to what please ??

Tarragona, Spain
2. Re: Dirty and disappointing

Three observations:

i) In my experience of crossing the border going north,the supply of public toilets and the cleanliness thereof beats Spain into a cocked hat. Any day of the week.

ii) Although I have not noticed it as much recently, I do recall a trip to Perpignan some 8 years ago where the amount of dog mess scattered all around town was quite nauseating.

iii) The liklihood of finding an open church on weekdaysanywhere in southern France or northern Spain these days is very low indeed. I suspect the same might be true of Durham but I stand to be corrected.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
reviews: 418
3. Re: Dirty and disappointing

There is a problem in some villages and small towns in France that dogs are just kicked out the door by their owners and left to fend for themselves for an hour or two or more.

Durham, United...
4. Re: Dirty and disappointing

Most of Europe and most definitely Norway

Durham, United...
5. Re: Dirty and disappointing

Stand corrected. Why don't you visit the beautiful open churches of England and Durham in particular?

Champlon, Belgium
reviews: 5
6. Re: Dirty and disappointing

Thirty years ago it was lovely, but then the tourists started to descend in large numbers, spoiling the very beauty and solitude that they had come to admire.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 100
7. Re: Dirty and disappointing

Churches tend to be closed outside mass hours because they are being looted. Paintings, statues, sculptures, religious objects are stolen and disappear for ever. There is usually someone in the village who is entrusted with the key and will open the door for visitors. With a little prior research you could have arranged to visit St Jacques church.

Locals seldom use public restrooms ...........

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
reviews: 418
8. Re: Dirty and disappointing

Why don't you visit the beautiful open churches of England and Durham in particular?

Because you need to take out a mortgage to pay the entry charges for some of them

Reply to: Dirty and disappointing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-de-Conflen...